VMware Communities
mtv00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can I build this network topology with Workstation 7.1.2

I have VM Workstation 7.1.2 running on a Windows 7 desktop which is on the 10.104.68 network. I built 2 Server 2008 VMs, VM1 and VM2 with the intent each would be on its own network and talk to the rest of our physical network via the 10.104.68 NIC.

1. Desktop on the 10.104.68 network and talks to the network fine.

2. VM1 with network adapter 1 bridged to the 10.104.68 network and network adapter 2 (Vnet2) as a 'Custom' to the 10.101.68 network.

3. VM2 with network adapter 1 bridged to the 10.104.68 network and network adapter 2 (Vnet3) as a 'Custom' to the 10.150.68 network.

VM1 can talk to anything on the 10.104.68 network and seems to be known on the network as the 10.101.68.14 specific IP I gave the NIC. It seems to talk out to the network fine, but I cannot ping the 10.101.68.14 from outside the VM. Is this because of the 'Host Only' on the Custom Vnet2 network adapter? Also, for each Custom network adapter in each VM, do I need a seperate physical network adapter on my desktop to talk to that network or can each custom network 'bridge' to the custom network with the one physical network adapter?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Just curious, have you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual?

If you want the Guest to be a peer on the LAN then just use Bridged.

Also if you have more then one active Physical Network Adapter on the Host then turn off Automatic Bridging in the Virtual Network Editor and assign the target NIC's to a VMnet0. (Even if you only have one sometimes it better to turn off Automatic Bridging in the Virtual Network Editor anyway.)

mtv00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've read Chapter 14 twice, which really pertains to what Im doing. Chap 15 doesnt pertain to this specifically.

If I just use Bridged with the one NIC and specify the 10.101.68.14 IP with a 10.101.68.254 gateway and now I cant 'out' on my network. I cant ping other servers nor join the domain. The config I specified above worked to get to the 'outside' network and incidentally came from Chapter 14.

I only have 1 active NIC on this box.

Any other sources of information on Workstation Networking I can review or any other ideas?

0 Kudos