VMware Communities
giuseppef
Contributor
Contributor

Can HOST-ONLY adapter be connected to external network ?

Hi guys

on the documentation (ws55_manual) I've found this :

The host virtual adapter is not connected to any external network unless you set up special software on the host computer -- a proxy server, for example-- to connect the host-only adapter to the physical network adapter.

can anyone explain me how to do that or where I can find some documentation ?

Many thanks

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
11 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

If the VM needs access to external systems use NAT networking instead.

As the name implies host-only only gives access to the host.

0 Kudos
giuseppef
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your reply but I have a scenario with many developers using the same VM image and this VM uses the same IP address.

I made a conscious decision not to allow external (outside of the host) access from the VM for a couple of reasons, the most important of which was using the same IP address. At the moment each developer is using the same IP (192.168.2.90) and each application (weblogic, oracle, apache etc) has been configured using this IP address.

I suspect that if I'd use NAT into the VM then each developers had a different IP address on their VM and I should install and configure applications with a different IP and I should build a different VM image for them.

is my assumption right ?

Regards

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You are correct if you NAT them they will not all be able to use the same IP.

0 Kudos
giuseppef
Contributor
Contributor

then i'm really in troubles

is there a possible VM configuration where many developers can use the same VM image with the same IP address and access external network ?

Cheers

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

is there a possible VM configuration where many developers

can use the same VM image with the same IP address and access

external network ?

Yes - create a router VM connected to both vmnet (NAT and host-only).

Configure NAT different on all systems and route the traffic through the

router VM.

0 Kudos
Curdasss
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Take a look at LabManager it has functionality along these lines, with network fencing. I think that is going to be your only option.

0 Kudos
giuseppef
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Curdasss

but if NAT gives a virtual machine access to network resources using the host computer's IP address then I should be able to use the same NAT address for different VM images.

If you use NAT, your virtual machine does not have its own IP address visible on the external network.

I mean...they are using different host computer's IP address (visible to the external network) but same NAT address into the VM (not visible to the external network).

is that scenario possible ?

many thanks

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
TCronin
Expert
Expert

Are your developers running on physically seperate versions of Workstation? If they are then yes, you can use NAT and have the same IP address.

This thread should probably be in the Workstatin forum rather than the VMware Infrastructure forums.

Tom Cronin, VCP, VMware vExpert 2009 - 2021, Co-Leader Buffalo, NY VMUG
0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Thread moved to the Workstation forum.

Oliver

VMTN User Moderator

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

You can use NAT.

You only have to modify the host-only and NAT network settings on ALL systems and change the NAT IP range to the host-only range.

Then you have to modify all VMs to use NAT networking.

If your developers are spreads across different locations a router VM probably is easier to "deploy".

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As everyone already has said: use NAT.

Then configure your VMs to use static IP addresses.

0 Kudos