VMware Communities
bfr03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

CUDA-enabled graphics processor as VMware?

Hello,

I'm taking a course that teaches CUDA. I would like to use it my personal laptop, but I don't have Nvidia graphics processor. mine is ATI . so I was thinking is there any Virtual Hardware simulator that I can use? or that there is no other way than using a PC with CUDA Graphics processor.

Thank you very much

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware can not emulate a NVIDIA video card.

EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not VMware but you could try Ocelot:

http://code.google.com/p/gpuocelot/

0 Kudos
bfr03
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks EdP, Ocelot can emulate CUDA

0 Kudos
K80theSHADE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't mean to be a hyjacker here, but the context makes it relevant, I think:

HOST:

MacBook Aug 2009 - Intel P7550 (VST support? Unclear through docs...some say yes for MB implimentation)

H/W: EFI

GUI: Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 32-bit

GUEST:

Ubuntu/BackTrack r2 GNOME 32-bit

APPLICATION:

Nvidia drivers installer --> reports no Nvidia H/W in system.

The ultimate goal here is to be able to leverage the GPU for CUDA processing from the command line in Ubuntu.

As I am aware, the Mac implimentation of the P7550 must support VST for this to work. This may or may not be so. Even extensive searching for confirmation of this has turned up little useful information.

All other components necessary to say, run pyrit with CUDA support in a VMware image are installed and functioning, just the actual VMWare host support for my GPU seems missing. CUDA reports it IS present and working while in Window$ GUI. Also whille in OSX. From this, I conclude it is likely the Correct stuff is happening up to the point when VMWare stepps in.

I'm pretty sure what I need is a way for VMWare to pipe in my CUDA card. How? Trying to keep it simple here....If I left out anything just ask.

0 Kudos