VMware Communities
charlierlee
Contributor
Contributor

CTRL+Z to suspend workstation? Really?

Dude, VMWare team, CTRL+Z to suspend the workstation? WTF is your problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have to agree! Smiley Wink

Considering Ctrl+Z typically is assigned to "Undo" it might have made much more sense to use Ctrl+S for "Suspend" even though it normally is set to "Save" however they also could have chosen a three key combo that would in all likelihood not conflict with most other normal hot key combos.

0 Kudos
0WayneH0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I assume that's why CTRL-Z doesn't work in the flaky VM notes window; the one where the caret randomly moves on you when you least expect it.

0 Kudos
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That shortcut has been there forever.  It might make more people angry to change it than to learn a new key combo.

0 Kudos
Doug_Neal_-_Cal
Contributor
Contributor

Ctrl-Z for Undo has been there longer than forever!!!!!   Please, at least provide an option to TURN IT OFF!!!!

0 Kudos
sparkler
Contributor
Contributor

or ctrl+alt+s or ctrl+alt+z

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can change this easily if you're using a Linux host, and directly (if not as easily) for a windows host.

For Linux, the /home/user/.vmware folder has an editable text file, "shortcuts" that lists all of them for your modification.

In a windows host, you need to download a resources editor like Orca and edit the vmware executable.

I've changed many of these keys ...

0 Kudos
Doug_Neal_-_Cal
Contributor
Contributor

The real issue here is that VMWare Workstation under normal usage will suddenly suspend, which depending on memory configuration and hard drive speed, can take several minutes to recover from.  In cases where a beta-test server is involved, numerous users can be inconvenienced and lose work.  VMWare's recommended solution of auto-grabbing the cursor almost makes things worse, since it works only 95% of the time, so lulls you into thinking the problem is solved.  After my post yesterday  I clicked in the newly resumed VM window and pressed Ctrl-Z to undo what I originally wanted to undo, and lo and behold off I go into suspend mode again.

The fact that VMWare A) chose Ctrl-Z (one of the most commonly used key combinations in Windows) to suspend and B) refuses to recognize and immediately fix the issue, says something about the company that I now have mixed respect for.

I run 4 or more VMs on my Desktop every day and switch between them often.  I am a developer and could modify the VMWare.exe, but I refuse to do that knowing it will have to be redone for every release and depend too much on my VMs to risk corrupting an application that I should not have to be debugging.  Yes it is a BUG!

0 Kudos