VMware Communities
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

CPU compatability in Workstation

Hi All

Running Workstation Pro 17 on Win 2019 based on an old piece of tin. (HP ML 350 G6)

Its for a home lab.

I've been trying and failing (badly) to install the NetApp Simulator. See Attached..

Was just thinking could this be related to the Physical CPU..

I couldn't find an "EVC Mode" to tweak as you might in vMware vCenter.

Are there any unofficial \ unsupported setting i could try in Workstation or against the VMs VMX file..

Cheers All Any Help much appreaciated,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can edit the VMX file and add:

monitor.allowLegacyCPU = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Just never upgrade that Workstation version to 17.5. That setting will no longer work as of 17.5. VMware absolutely requires the XSAVE instruction for 17.5 that’s not present in any Intel CPU before Sandy Bridge. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Blast no joy there.

VM Hardware version is v10 By default.

Result is the same anyone out there running the NetApp Sim on older architecture ..?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Your error messages appear to be coming from the guest, not Workstation. 

Have you checked the processor requirements for the NetApp Simulator? Your CPU may be too old to run it. Remember that virtualization runs the guest on the host’s CPU. If the NetApp simulator needs a CPU instruction not provided by the host, it can’t run. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

A bit of research:

Starting with OnTAP 9.9.1 (at least the OnTAP Select version),  there is a requirement for a Sandy Bridge architecture CPU or later. What you have is the prior generation Westmere Xeon CPU.

Depending on the OnTAP version in that NetApp simulator, you may not be able to run that on your old kit.  You might have to see if you can find an older version that doesn't need the Sandy Bridge Xeons. Virtualization doesn't implement missing instructions that are not present on the chip. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahh how annoying is that...

I was starting to think this was pCPU related but was trying to ignore the possibility...

Annoyingly i have now left the company running the NetApp Storage estate so its going to be a fight to find a copy..

grrrr 

0 Kudos