VMware Communities
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bypass Worksation GUI - Old Noobi question

I'm stuck.

I am running Win 7 Host computer with VMware workstation 9.  I use VMware for reliability, snapshots, etc.  I have been doing this for many years and am happy with the benefits (real or imagined) conferred by VMware.  My use and understanding is not sophisticated but I have been able to pull the fat from the fire several time over the years due to my setup.

My guest virtual machines are installed on a Raid drive "E" but I principally run a single machine which I would like to be able to start from a desktop shortcut.  I think I understand that it is possible to do this and bypass the GUI of the VMware Workstation or Player. 

Please help!!!

Regards

k

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kriemer wrote: I tried that (should have said that).  All that happens is VMware workstation opens but not the VM.

Yeah, (see image below) I forgot you need to use the following syntax:

<Path to vmware.exe> -x <Path to .vmx file>

vmware.exe_options.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kriemer wrote: My guest virtual machines are installed on a Raid drive "E" but I principally run a single machine which I would like to be able to start from a desktop shortcut.  I think I understand that it is possible to do this and bypass the GUI of the VMware Workstation or Player. 

Not totally clear what you might mean by "bypass the GUI" however you can simply create a Shortcut on the Windows Desktop to the .vmx configuration file of the target Virtual Machine and start it from the Shortcut.  It will still run in the VMware Player/Workstation GUI however you do not need to first open the VMware Player/Workstation GUI, just double-click the Shortcut.

kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried that (should have said that).  All that happens is VMware workstation opens but not the VM. 

I was thinking that vmrun might be the answer (there is a nogui switch).  But I am getting lost in the instructions.

Thanks for taking the time.

k

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kriemer wrote: I tried that (should have said that).  All that happens is VMware workstation opens but not the VM.

Yeah, (see image below) I forgot you need to use the following syntax:

<Path to vmware.exe> -x <Path to .vmx file>

vmware.exe_options.png

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

kriemer wrote: I was thinking that vmrun might be the answer (there is a nogui switch).  But I am getting lost in the instructions.

It should be as simple as the following syntax:

vmrun start <path to .vmx>

Example from "Using vmrun to Control Virtual Machines".

vmrun start "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Virtual Machines\WinXP\WinXP.vmx"

0 Kudos
kriemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Both your last 2 message work. 

Many thanks

k

0 Kudos