VMware Communities
staunerjr
Contributor
Contributor

Building a "hot rod" for my VM environment....

Hey group,

Fist time posting!

Ok I'm getting ready to put to gather a box for a new deployment of vm-work stations.

So instead of reinventing the wheel again and again I was wondering if anyone has

built their own hot rod, and what success or draw backs they have found.

I'm looking to use a dual processor motherboard, middle of the road graphics card and

as much ram as I can jam into it.

My goal is to not option big vendors, (Dell, HP, etc.)

Thank you in advance!!

Pete

0 Kudos
1 Reply
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - What are you looking to do? Are you looking to set up an environment where you are going to host multiple virtual  desktops or looking for set up to run VMware workstation? The difference being with VMware Workstation will be installed ontop of WIndows or Linux and os as long as you machined supportes the OS you will be able to run VMware Workstation.

If you are looking for an environment where you going to host multiple desktops than you will need to look at installing VMware ESXi - this will require harware that is supported by ESXi. - this is VMware's HCL - http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful