VMware Communities
Gulliver
Contributor
Contributor

Building Vista VM, asked to uninstall Bluetooth on host !?

Installing Vista Business as a VM on Workstation 5.5.1, I received a message telling me to uninstall the Bluetooth stack on the host. Cannot understand why this would be necessary, and I am not willing to uninstall Bluetooth from the host.

Host is a 2ghz Core2Duo Dell laptop, 2gb Ram, XP SP2.

Can anyone tell me how to install Vista, or is it not possible?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm reactivating this old thread because this just happened to me while I was applying SP1 to my Vista VM.

In the interval since I created the VM on my 6.0.2 workstation, I had added a blue tooth mouse to

the Opensuse Linux 10.3 host and it was working great.

But during the upgrade, Vista discovered the builtin bluetooth adaptor and usurped it right out

from under KDE/Linux. Upon shutting down the Virtual Vista, Linux regained control of the

bluetooth mouse. Rebooting vista did not repeat the problem, and the mouse remained

with the host.

There doesn't even seem to be an option to add a bluetooth device anywhere in the Vmware

settings panel, so why is it possible for Vista (and only vista) to see it directly?

The only think I can think of is that the internal bluetooth radio actually attaches

via the USB bus, and the special install/upgrade shell that vista uses usurped the usb bus

for the duration.

This suggests, that you may want to disconnect the usb controller from the vm

or at least uncheck the automatic connection option when installing vista or

applying SP1 to your vista virtual machines.

0 Kudos