VMware Communities
Dirk_M
Contributor
Contributor

(Bug?) Multi-Monitor-Layout with different dpi-values. How to correct/override the wrong configuration?

Hi, I have three monitors on my desktop. The (laptop-)monitor in the middle has a much higher resolution and dpi-value.

While clicking on "Choose on monitor layout" I get two possible layouts. Both of them differ from the setting in the host-system.
On the guest system, the middle-monitor always has the correct resolution. But when trying to use multi monitors, the left guest-monitor is becoming a resolution of 2400x1800 (host has 1600x1200). If I try to change dpi-value or resolution in the guest, the second virtual monitor disappears. :smileyconfused:

There seems to be a problem, if the host has monitors with different dpi-values.

I tried it with Windows 8.1(guest and host) and Windows 10 (guest and host) and VMware Workstation 11. The problem occurs with and without "3D-Acceleration"-setting, but the error differs somehow.

Is it possible to manual override "Layout 2" in VMware Workstation in a config-file to the correct resolution and dpi-values?

Thank you 😃

Unbenannt-100.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dirk_M
Contributor
Contributor

I found a good workaround in another monitor-related question, which worked for me. :smileycheck:

Copy&Paste:

1. Close VMware Workstation
  2. Right click on the VMWare workstation Shortcut
  3. Select Properties
  4. Choose Compatibility
  5. Under Settings Check "Disable display scaling on High DPI settings".
  6. Open Workstation
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Workstation 12 works correctly when the host's monitors have different DPIs.  Previous versions were not aware of per-monitor DPI, and that caused problems like yours where some guest monitors were the wrong size, or weren't usable at all.

0 Kudos