VMware Communities
nef99
Contributor
Contributor

Broken FOG, VMware Workstation 8, Converter Standalone 5.0.1, ESXi

hey guys hopefully some of you may be able to help with this.  I've been searching for a fix for a few days with no avail!
I built an Ubuntu (12.10) FOG server on my desktop using VMware Workstation 8.0.4
I was get errors and eventually all connecting clients (WIN7, Dell  Precision T1650) would get the snow screen.  I wanted to roll-back the  kernel to 2.6.35.7 KitchenSink, though I eventually went with  3.5.0-17 because I'm a noob and couldn't get the older kernels using the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa

now that I have rolled-back to the 3.5.0 kernel I was able to get a Win7  machine (built with Workstation 8, both win7 & FOG vm's on same  host) to go through quick and full registrations but errors out at the  very end with:
Hard disk not found!
I figure this is because it's a VM and that's why it wasn't working.
At the time I decided to migrate my FOG VM to back-end server and trying it on a lab that we have built in to our production.
When I used VMware Converter Standalone 5.0.1 to transfer VM from my host to ESXi server (5.0) FOG  magically seemed to lose all of its configs.  when entering the  following to check my configs I find a COMPLETELY BLANK document:
gksu gedit /var/www/fog/commons/config.php

at this time, I hand jammed the old config into the config.php file and saved.  reboot.  try FOG again, and NOTHING!

Has anyone run into a similar issue?
I've only been working with Ubuntu and FOG for about five weeks, so i'm  still a noob--though I have come quite a ways in a short period of time.

I would really appreciate any insight!  Thx!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since you're new to all of this I'd suggest you direct your FOG related issues to the FOG Forums and not concentrate so much on the fact that this is in a VM.  Not saying your issue are in no way related to virtualization however it looks more like a FOG/Linux issue then a VMware issue.

BTW I've never heard the expression "hand jammed" before today.

0 Kudos
nef99
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your input, i've actually posted on four forums including VM, hoping that someone has run into this before.

that may be military jargon as I was in the ARMY for 8yrs

the main reason i posted here is because everything seemed to work half-way decent until using ther converter standalone...almost like it converted everything except for the configs.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As I've previously said, "Not saying your issue are in no way related to virtualization" and let me add or something getting lost in conversion...  nonetheless my take on it is try to resolve why once you tried to repair the config.php file it didn't work or what else might be missing and or is any of this permissions related.  As far a something being lost in conversion there may be no fix for that other then to manually correct or use a scripted solution after the fact to resolve the issue.  So that is why I suggested looking towards FOG and Linux more so then VMware.

nef99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks alot woody, i'll continue looking into my configs to see if there has been more lost data than what i've already noticed.

I'll leave this discussion open; just in case.

thanks again!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I tested FOG a while back however have used Ghost since its origin with Binary Research and now with Symantec's Norton Ghost Solution Suite.  A while back JoeBlogs201110141 was having an unrelated issue and was using FOG and I don't know if he's still around, however you may want to send him a PM.  Maybe he'll have some FOG related advice/information that could be helpful.

0 Kudos
nef99
Contributor
Contributor

I found the problem, I need to roll-back to 2.6.35.7 KS kernel.

I connected to old life-cycle pc's to the network and they worked great with fog.  did some more research and everyone says the KitchenSink kernel works best for akward hardware.

i have to .tar.bz2 on my desktop, got it extracted but i don't know the commands to install.  can anyone hlep?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You may find the answer faster using Google and or going to the Ubuntu Community for help with what is a Linux matter, not a VMware issue per se.

0 Kudos