VMware Communities
x2001
Contributor
Contributor

Bridging networks from VM to Host

Hi all,

im quite new to VMware and i am just playing around at the moment to get familiar with it, as my work is using it more and more, i am required to be more involved.

Im running through VM workstation 6.5.2

1x windows 2008 server

2x windows 7 desktops

All these are running on 1 host,

how do i configure the virtual network so that i can have a DHCP scope running on the server, separate to the host yet still be able to connect to the internet?

host is on 192.268.1.xx i would like to run the server W7 clients on 10.10.10.xx

Hope someone can help.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

im quite new to VMware and i am just playing around at the moment to get familiar with it, as my work is using it more and more, i am required to be more involved.

Once everybody was......

Im running through VM workstation 6.5.2

1x windows 2008 server

2x windows 7 desktops

All these are running on 1 host,

how do i configure the virtual network so that i can have a DHCP scope running on the server, separate to the host yet still be able to connect to the internet?

1. You can use vNIC's in the guest which are NAT. That gives you an isolated virtual network but the guests can still communicate to the outside. The drawback is if you want to use your own DHCP server and not the VMware provided one (maybe with a different IP subnet range that which is configured for VMnet8/NAT) you need to configure all teh VMnet8 stuff accordingly.

2. You can use a custom network (without host) or the host-only network (VMnet1) as your isolated network with your own DHCP server and add a second vNIC (bridged if enough IP addresses are available or NAT) to the guest for outside communication.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos