VMware Communities
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged networking problem

Hello.

I have a problem with bridged networking in Workstation 7.01.

Namely no access to the host, other computers on my network or the Default Gateway (router).

The host computer has Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The guests are Windows XP Pro.

I've attached my ipconfig files for the Win 7 host and XP guest.

I've switched both firewalls off. Anti-virus software is MSE on the host and AVG 8.5 on XP.

I have tried reinstalling the VM Ware Bridge Protocol without any success.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

BF

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

BongoFury,

Can you go into the virtual network editor (edit menu of workstation) and look at VMnet0. Please manually set the bridging to the Killer NIC card instead of the Realtek. VMware may be auto bridging to the wrong nic.

FYI, as a personal best practice, I disable the NIC Cards in my computer that I don't use (since I have a pci wifi as my primary network card). This can also reduce confusion.

Once you have manually assigned it, make sure to release/renew the IP in the guest to see if it pulls and IP.

If not, then you may want to login to your router to see if it's getting any requests for an IP from the MAC that matches your virtual machine nic card.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

EvilOne,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I've disabled the Realtek as per your suggestion. I've also released/renewed the IP in the guest.

The IP is still APIPA.

However the DHCP client list in my router shows the MAC address of the virtual nic card and an IP assigned to it - 192.168.2.11

Regards

BF

0 Kudos
mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor

Evil.

I have done what you've suggested for many years now. I have not had issues getting an IP address until I upgraded to VMwareWS7/7.0.1.

I am running on WinXP and I have this issue, particularly, with a VM of Redhat Enterprise Linux WS (2.6.9-89.0.20.EL).

I am at wit's end.

If I set up NAT, all's well. But, that's not acceptable.

And, while able to reach the 'Net with NAT, I have ensured my entire RH installation is fully up2date.

Perhaps I need to uninstall my eth0 device under RedHat and let kudzu re-detect that hardware and re-install?

But, not quite sure the safest way to do this.

I also have re-run vmware configuration tool to ensure vmxnet (sp?) is properly configured.

I'm going mad!!!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks.

BF

0 Kudos
mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I just did a Windows Update and had 12 security updates that were needed to be installed.

And, I ran a full scan and fix with Spybot Search & Destroy.

As of this writing, my Solaris 10 virtual machine under Bridged is now accessing the Internet thru my XP VMware host.

As well, my Linux Redhat 4 virtual machine is now accessing the Internet in bridged mode.

Must've needed something in that update or something removed that was interfering!

0 Kudos
Amer82
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I have the same problem but still no solution.

I have windows 7 on my compter with static IP.

I have installed VMware 7.0.1 then I created a new virtual machine with XP SP3 OS in bridged mode.

I gave it static IP to get outside but It didn't work.

Host computer IP Address: 172.20.1.2

VM ( XP OS 😞 172.20.1.3

Server 2003 on the network (Proxy - internet gateway ):172.20.1.1

I can ping from 172.20.1.3 to 172.20.1.2 but I couldn't ping to 172.20.1.1 then I couldn't get to the internet.

If I switch the mode to nat (VMnet8) the Virtual machive get DHCP from VMware Virtual network 192.168.37.129 then the virtual machine can ping 172.20.1.1 and can get to the internet.

Knowing that I was working on bridge mode from more than one month with VMware 7.0.0 but suddenly stopped then I uninstall it and install the ver 7.0.1, but still have the same problem.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

Latest update.

I have a laptop running Windows 7 Professional and VM Ware Workstation 6.5.1 that connects to the same network. I am able to use bridged networking on this without any issues!

Is this just a problem with Workstation 7.01?

0 Kudos
HGC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I have the same Problem with Bridged Network settings.

Host: MS Vista 64Bit Ultimate SP2

VMWare Workstation7.0.1 build-227600

The tip from "IamTHEvilONE" that VMWare is not correct Autobridging the NIC was the workaround for me.

I disabled the NIC in Autobridging and configuered is seperatly as VMNIC2 in the VirtualNetwork Editor. Then i configuered the Guest NIC in the VMSettings to use the VMNIC2 as NIC.

All works fine now.

But my question is, if there is any Information when this BUG will be solved from VMWare?

Regards,

HG

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>I disabled the NIC in Autobridging and configuered is seperatly as VMNIC2 in the VirtualNetwork Editor. Then i configuered the Guest NIC in the VMSettings to use the VMNIC2 as NIC.

HGC,

This "should be" equivalent to manually Bridging VMnet0 to a specific NIC Card. If you have multiple NIC Cards in a computer, WS will try to automatically select which one to use by default.

If you manually exclude NICs from VMnet0 and then manually bridge to VMnet2, it's basically the same thing as dictating which NIC VMnet0 will explicitly use.

But my question is, if there is any Information when this BUG will be solved from VMWare?

I am not convinced there is a bug as of yet. If there is a bug, I need a way to reproduce the exact issue. Or can you provide detailed enough information on how you can reproduce this consistently with:

1. A set of logs from VMware Workstation

2. A set of MPS reports from your host OS (windows) or similar type log set for Linux (like an SOS Report)

I currently use Workstation at home and have 4 NIC cards in my computer. Hardware (FWIW): AMD Athlon II X4 620, 8GB RAM, Dual Port Intel PCI-X NIC, D-Link WiFi G-Extreme on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

By default, Workstation was grabbing the 1 wifi NIC for VMnet0. the other two off-board NICs go to a iSCSI san I have. The final onboard NIC is disabled.

For how I use this computer, the Wifi NIC is the best default adapter to choose since it has my internet link.

I am willing to look at what you think is a bug, but need a bit more then what i have in this thread alone.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

"This "should be" equivalent to manually Bridging VMnet0 to a specific

NIC Card. If you have multiple NIC Cards in a computer, WS will try to

automatically select which one to use by default.

If you manually exclude NICs from VMnet0 and then manually bridge to

VMnet2, it's basically the same thing as dictating which NIC VMnet0 will

explicitly use."

Unfortunately this solution is not working for me. Could it be a problem between my NIC ( Killer M1 ) and Workstation?

As i said previously, i have a laptop running Windows 7 Pro and VMW Workstation 6.5.1 and bridged networking works as it should.

Regards

BF

0 Kudos
mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor

Is VMware WS 6.x.x supported atop Windows7? I have been told a VM guest of Windows 7 is beta in VMware WS6.5.3, and fully supported in VMware WS7. Just sayin'.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

>Is VMware WS 6.x.x supported atop Windows7? I have been told a VM guest of Windows 7 is beta in VMware WS6.5.3, and fully supported in VMware WS7

Officially, Windows 7 is only supported as a host OS as of Workstation 7.0. However, I have seen it work before.

Bongo,

I have never encountered someone using a KillerNIC card before. I know they are quite expensive for a single port card, but allow CPU offloading for performance. Couple extra FPS in a game never hurts.

If this is specific to certain hardware, it may not be possible for me to replicate this in house.

Regards,

EvilOne

VMware vExpert 2009

5441_5441.jpg

0 Kudos
maddog1008
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem for me. I have VMWare Workstation 6.5.3 and Windows 7 as my host.

The only way I can get my VMs (Fedora Core 11 / Core 12 ) to communicate with the outside world

is to NAT. Bridge doesn't work with my Killer NIC. Virtual Network Editor shows 255.255.255.255 as

the subnet mask. (See Attached PNG)

And this Killer NIC has not really improved my game play. In fact, their main website was down

yesterday, and for some strange reason, my utilities for the NIC failed (C++ error messages).

I'll submit, if it's truly my NIC. But someone has got to validate this.

0 Kudos
VaemonGuy
Contributor
Contributor

JUST A THOUGHT

try to install or upgrade the killer nic driver.i have come across same issue before. my realtek nic just coudnt run under workstation. after i reinstalled the nic card under windows 7, everythings went back to normal.

0 Kudos
VaemonGuy
Contributor
Contributor

can you just not use auto bridge? use mannualy bridged to make sure you are brigeing the correct one.

also you can try to bridge other vmnet on the other card, and connect your cable to the card and see if it will work.

0 Kudos
plutoe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I too have the same problem with network bridging, can Nat, but bridge refuse to pick up network address.

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

VMware Workstation 7.0.1

Guest OS: Windows XP

I have reforrmated my system (same problem occurs), firewall has been turned off while troubleshooting, antivirus is Avast.

This system have a dual realtek PCIe family gigabit NIC.

On a different computer, which bridging works:

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.

VMware Workstation 7.0.1

Guest OS: Windows XP (copy of the same guest, mentioned above)

The only only 2 things that comes into mind from reading this thread is either my realtek nic is incompatible with this setup or, windows 7 64bit.

I have tried almost everything to isolate the problem, and also went as far as putting another NIC in, but unfortunately, its also another realtek NIC.

Originally, I had the NIC in a teamed setup, however, the guest OS keeps reporting an IP conflict (via DHCP from hardware router) even though the IP address was definately not in use. This also occurs when a static address was issued. When teaming was removed, and only a single NIC was connected to the network, this gave the windows IP network of 169.x.x.x. This occurs reguardless of whether NIC #1 or #2 was used.

Any ideas?

(edit: after many days/week of the problem, I finally solved it. The problem was my network switch was configured to a specific vlan which bridging did not liked on my system. Tested this on a non configured port and voila, works, put it back to the configured port and problem resurface. I am using a cisco 3750 switch in case anyone is wondering. After deleting the settings on the affect port, everythign seems to be working okay now)

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

on Windows 7 the vmnetbridge often does not install correctly.

To check this open a cmd as admin and type

net start vmnetbridge

report result

and read http://communities.vmware.com/thread/262380?tstart=0

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continuum, thanks for the suggestions.

I get "the service has already started"

I have tried uninstalling the Vmware bridge protocol and reinstalling it, with no success.

0 Kudos
BongoFury
Contributor
Contributor

Issue resolved.

Replacing the installed nic with a Realtek solved the problem.

0 Kudos