VMware Communities
weemandan
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged networking issue with Win7 x64 host and Win08 x86 client

Hi all,

My install is as follows, host machine is x64 Windows 7 Pro and the guest is x86 Windows Server 2008 all networking work fine apart from bridged networking. Any ideas as to why this may be, is it just because of the host being 64 bit and the guest 32 bit? Or could it be a problem that I'm trying to bridge over a wireless connection?

Thanks for any pointers,

Dan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you disable that "auomatic bridging" nonsense already ?

You should assign vmnets to physical nics manually.

Like vmnet0 to first physical network-card.

vmnet2 to wireless nic.

Then setup your VM to use vmnet2

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
weemandan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continuum,

Yes I've set vmnet2 to be bridged directly to the wireless card and am receiving an odd message in the 2008 guest machine when running ipconfig /renew:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : The DHCP client has obtained an IP address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.

Thanks for further pointers.

Dan

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

PMJI:

A couple of thoughts.

1. Make sure you don't have a VM that was suspended, and resumed, with an IP address that the DHCP server thinks has expired and is trying to re assign. If you suspend a VM very often, this can be avoided with a static IP. My wife gets mad at me when I forget and her MAC book complains and refuses to go on line. Smiley Happy

2. I have seen errors like this where the same MAC address had pulled an IP through a different switch or router. In these cases, rebooting the LAN's router (DHCP Server) resolved the issue. In all cases, there was no visible sign that the IP address was really in use. Clearing the ARP cache did not help, a hard reboot was necessary.

Lou

0 Kudos