VMware Communities
despuestambien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged networking DHCP problem

Hi there,

I'd really appreciate if you could help me out with this one. I have a windows server 2003 guest running as a service in an xp host. Don't ask why a service! I just need it!

I use bridged networking. The guest doesn't seem to obtain an ip from the dhcp router outside my host's wireless card. There is a strange thing though. At home i have a netgear router and have no problem obtaining an ip, the problem is at work where there is a linksys router. On the host i have no problem with the linksys router.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: By the way, i'm using vmware workstation 6.0.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

I'd really appreciate if you could help me out with this one. I have a windows server 2003 guest running as a service in an xp host. Don't ask why a service! I just need it!

Actually.... I think I will ask -- why? If you need to run a Guest as a service you should look at using the free VMware Server product instead of VMware Workstation. Smiley Happy VMware Server is designed to run Guests in the background.

I use bridged networking. The guest doesn't seem to obtain an ip from the dhcp router outside my host's wireless card. There is a strange thing though. At home i have a netgear router and have no problem obtaining an ip, the problem is at work where there is a linksys router. On the host i have no problem with the linksys router.

At work, do you think that they have put in MAC address restrictions on the WiFi access point?

Consider upgrading to Workstation 6.5.2. It's a free upgrade for you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
prakashraj
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Have you tried ipconfig /renew in guest ?

Prakash

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
despuestambien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, many times..but nothing...

Every time i'm more sure it has something to do with the linksys router, but have no clue why...

thanks!!

2009/8/7 prakashraj <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

A new message was posted in the thread "Bridged networking DHCP problem":

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1332481#1332481

Author : prakashraj

Profile : http://communities.vmware.com/people/prakashraj

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Actually.... I think I will ask -- why? If you need to run a Guest as a service you should look at using the free VMware Server product instead of VMware Workstation. Smiley Happy VMware Server is designed to run Guests in the background.

At work, do you think that they have put in MAC address restrictions on the WiFi access point?

Consider upgrading to Workstation 6.5.2. It's a free upgrade for you.

0 Kudos
despuestambien
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

oops...i didn't know about vmware server...a few hours lost installing the service then...thanks for the tip...

i'll check on monday but i'm 99% sure that's the reason.

Before you answered me, i was looking that issue up on google.

thanks!

0 Kudos