VMware Communities
mji015
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged network doesn't work properly

Hi All,

I use vmware workstation 5.5.6 build80404 and I have a problem with conection to the physical host network from the virtual machine over the bridge. The virtual machine is running Win XP SP2 and it has one network adapter brigded to the physical host network adapter. The connection seems to work the status is 'Connected' and it even receives an IP address from the external DHCP running at LAN. The problem is that I can't reach any host on the network from the virtual machine. I can only access the virtual machine from the physical host via its IP address it's only thing which works.

I have already tried the following things but nothing helped:

to disable the firewall on the virtual machine; update the driver for the physical NIC (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx), change the MAC of the virtual machine

Pls help me if you have any idea. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Try to disable TCP chimney on HOST OS if it is one of the operating systems listed in Microsoft KB 912222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912222 )

It has been reported that TCP chimney has an impact. Try to turn it off:

"Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED"

There are several threads about this around here.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
mji015
Contributor
Contributor

The host OS is Win XP x86 so I can't disable the TCP Chimney functionality. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

If the guest receives an IP address from a DHCP server there has been some kind of communication. So can't you ping your guest or is this possible but other services (like mapping a share) doesn't work?

Please post "ipconfig /all" from host AND guest.

AWo

Message was edited by: AWo

0 Kudos
mji015
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's quite strange that the guest receives IP address from DHCP however other network communication doesn't work at all. I can't ping any IP address on the LAN from the guest and the guest is not reachable from any client on the nework with exception of host - I can ping the guest from the host system and other services like sharing also works. You can see the ipconfig from both clients in the attachement. Thanks, Milan

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Any firewall on the host?

AWo

mji015
Contributor
Contributor

I have found the reason. The cause was the Cisco VPN client which blocked some ports despite its service was disabled. After I removed the VPN client from the host everything started working correctly. Thank You for your support.

0 Kudos