VMware Communities
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bridged connection doesn't work! Help!

Hello guys.

I have a problem getting my bridged connection work on my virtual machine.

Specs:

Host: Debian Lenny 5 Server

3 IP's already configured within static and working

Installed VMware Server 2. Working great.

vmnet 33580 10

vsock 15620 0

vmci 43620 2 vsock

vmmon 60484 6

Installed virtual machine.

Ubuntu 9.10 Server with a minimum gdm possible.

The guest interface is configured with dhcp.

I have setup the vmw server bridged connection to eth0:1, the 3 ip address of the host. When I try ifconfig on the host I can see vmnet1 and vmnet8 but I cant see vmnet0. Anyway, before I reinstalled vmware, when I used to switch to bridged connection, after a while the host server lost the interfaces configuration, and all the 3 ip addresses were assigned to the virtual OS and this is strange and really stressing.

I'm a newbie on using vmware and I have never configured or managed bridged connection. What should I do in my case? I practically just want my virtual machine to share 1 ip with the host.

And yes I have tried to setup my host interfaces with DHCP, but after a while the configuration goes automatically in static...

On the vmware web interface I see that the guest domain is identified but any IP. Anyway that domain is not real, its just a name I have set. Maybe I must set the host domain on guest too? Anyway even the host doesnt have a domain. On host interfaces I just have address; netmask; gateway for eth0 and just address and netmask for the other 2 remaining IP's... all of them in static.

I'm googleing from a while now but seams I cant resolve it. I would love to read any suggestion. In fact I really need some tips.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nothing have been changed, ifconfig -a shows the exact same thing as I showed you on the previous posts.

Good.

Why should they change?

Because people tend to try out things while posting here.

I didn't setup nothing.

Good.

Should I set up something?

Not requested by me.

You told me that I couldn't have bridged connection after I showed you the ifconfig -a, but why?

No, I didn't told you that. I told you only that you can't use an IP address on two hosts. The guest needs its own unique IP address, but from you posting I see it has not even one IP address.

I dont want any special configuration. I just want to have regular bridged connection. What makes it "different" in my case is

that I have 3 dedicated IP addresses, but I dont think that's a problem.

That depends on where you use the IP addresses. If they are already used on the host you can't use one of them in the guest.

You are saying: But remember, you can't use the same IP address on two hosts at the same time. And you have two hosts

(the VMware host and the VMware guest). Is this the default setup of vmware server?

Regardless of if you use VMware or something different. As soon as you have created a guest system (your virtual machine) you have two hosts. The host where VMware Server runs on and the virtual machine. And with each guest you add you add one host. That is not complicated. It's the same as if you would add a physical host to your network. And each host needs a unique IP address. Regardless if you use bridged or NAT. It's that easy. Standard TCP/IP business.

I dont want 2 host or I dont want this complicated thing.

If you don't want two hosts, why did you start with virtualization. That is the base purpose of virtualization. Adding hosts without the need to buy hardware for the new ones. Maybe you didn't realize the I referred to the virtual machine also as a host.

Or maybe what you mean is that I cant use the same static IP on the host and on the guest at the same time?

Exactly! But that isn't because you use bridged, that is because TCP/IP works that way. Everywhere on the world, on every system which uses TCP/IP.

I think you're missing some basics:

VMware offers three default kinds of networks. All apply to the standard TCP/IP rules.

First one is "bridged" or VMnet0:

When you use a bridged connection, the guest connects transparently to the network. Using its own MAC address and using its own unique IP setup.

Second one is "host-only" or VMnet1:

Again, the guest has its own vaild unique IP setup, but it is not connected to the physical network, but to a virtual one (VMnet1). The host is also connected to VMnet1 via its virtual network card VMnet1. As VMnet1 is a separate IP subnet it has its own subnet IP addresses (by default something like 192.168.x.x).

Third is "NAT" or VMnet8:

This is also a virtual network, like VMnet1 but here the host acts like a proxy for the guest. The guest has its own valid and unique IP address (from the VMnet8 IP subnet) and uses a virtual IP address as its gateway to the outside world (physical netwok). Using NAT makes it possible to hide the guest from the physical network because every packet seems to come form the host.

So, if you want to have your guest using a bridged connection, assign an IP address to it, which NO other host uses. Unfortunately I can't help you here, as you xxxxx'ed the most important information in your post, the IP addresses. These IP addresses are why this information is requested in this forum. If they need to be secret, you can xxx the first three digits of the address, but at least the three last parts must be shown. Otherwise we can't check if they are correct or not.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am no Linux expert but you assign vmnet0 to a device - not to an IP.

I wonder if this works if you use an alias in the configuration ... eth0:1 - I would use eth0

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried with eth0 but after 5 minutes the guest takes all the host IP's, and practically the host goes offline, and for sure guest after him.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

can't you give fixed IPs to your VMs ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I give fix IP to my VM, the same IP will be avaiable even for the host or just the guests? I have tried 1 time to do so, but nothing happens, it wont work.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you want to use bridged networking - right ?

Then someone scanning your system from the network the bridged adapter is connected to will see 3 IPs from your host plus those IPs assigned to the VMs

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes ok, thats not a problem, 1 or 3. The problem is my bridge is not working the way it supposed. IS there a vmware documentation for bridge connection in linux?

Even vmnet0 is up and running on the host, I cant find the config file on /etc/vmware

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW, wrong forum, this is VMWare Workstation.

It is normal that you don't see VMnet0, which is the bridged connection. Don't worry abaou that.

Do a ps -ef | grep "bridge" on the host and post what comes back.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Oh I didnt realise I was on the wrong forum :$ I'm to much stressed with this thing that I'm not resolving from a week now.

$ ps -ef | grep "bridge"

root 25119 1 0 12:38 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/vmnet-bridge -d /var/run/vmnet-bridge-0.pid -n 0 -i eth0:1

root 26116 25051 0 12:53 pts/0 00:00:00 grep bridge

Edit

I set it by myself on eth0:1

is wrong?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

"ifconfig -a " from guest and host, please....

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm a newbie on using vmware and I have never configured or managed bridged connection. What should I do in my case? I practically just

want my virtual machine to share 1 ip with the host.

That is not possible when you use bridged. The guest needs its own valid IP address then which can't be assigned somewhere else. If you want to use the host IP addresses (or if you do not have an IP address for the guest or if the guest should not appear on the physical network you must use NAT).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host

$ ifconfig -a

bond0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00

BROADCAST MASTER MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxx

inet addr:xxxxxxxxxxx Bcast:xxxxxxxxxxxxx Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:42593827 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:28864835 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:3045251179 (2.8 GiB) TX bytes:444233447 (423.6 MiB)

Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

eth0:0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

inet addr:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Bcast:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

inet addr:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Bcast:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Mask:255.255.255.0

gre0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOARP MTU:1476 Metric:1

ip6tnl0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOARP MTU:1460 Metric:1

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:32908 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:32908 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:29631725 (28.2 MiB) TX bytes:29631725 (28.2 MiB)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4

NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

teql0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOARP MTU:1500 Metric:1

collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

tunl0 Link encap:IPIP Tunnel HWaddr

NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1

vmnet1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

inet addr:192.168.93.1 Bcast:192.168.93.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:1/64 Scope:Link

TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

vmnet8 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

inet addr:172.16.61.1 Bcast:172.16.61.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

inet6 addr: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:8/64 Scope:Link

TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xxxxxxxxxxxx

Interrupt:18 Base address:0x2000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:2014 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:2014 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

RX bytes:122985 (122.9 KB) TX bytes:122985 (122.9 KB)

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I expressed myself wrong. Yes I want guest to be visible on the network. Definitely I want bridged.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The you need a dedicated free IP address from the IP subnet of th ephysical network. You can't share an IP address with the host.

Have you tried to share the IP address (assigned it on the host and the guest)?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why cant I share it?

And yes I have tried, but the guest than after a while takes all the host ip's.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Because that is not allowed by TCP/IP. Doing that would end up in one IP address with two MAC addresses.

If you want to use the host IP address you must use "NAT" as the vNIC type. Then the guest becomes a member of a virtual network called "VMnet8". It receives an IP address from this subnet (1892.168.x.x) if you have the VMWare DHCP server running on your host. All packets leaving the guest which are intended for the physical network will be edited by the NAT service so they appear as if they come from the host. VMware takes care that returning packetes (which belong to the communication started by the guest) are routed back to the guest.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello AWo.

Well I'm curious, I guess this is impossible only in my case, but why? Can you be more specific? I just want to know why, cos maybe I resolve. Anyway, do you think the problem would be even ipv6 support? thought I have disabled it. I changed the config here /etc/modprobe.d/aliases on the line "alias net-pf-10 "ipv6 to "alias net-pf-10 off" and rebooted.

And yes I have tried NAT and it works. But what more I wanted was bridged. And there is the HostOnly thing I don't get too. Because it seams like the NAT mode to me. Whats the difference between them?

Apart all of this, the other strange thing I notice is the double processes of vmware on the host. Take a look:

vmnet-bridge

vmnet-dhcpd

vmnet-dhcpd

vmnet-natd

vmware-authdlau

vmware-watchdog

webAccess

vmware-hostd

vmnet-netifup

vmnet-netifup

And Thanks for supporting me!

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Give me an update, what's your situation, now.

Set the vNIC to "bridged" and post your IP setup ("ipconfig /all" for Windows and "ifconfig -a" for Linux) from the guest AND the host.

Then I can see how you set it up.

But remember, you can't use the same IP address on two hosts at the same time. And you have two hosts (the VMware host and the VMware guest).

When you use NAT you also have two hosts but they are in different subnets. The guest is in this virtual LAN VMnet8 where the host is also connected to (via its VMnet8 adapter). The packets are send from the guest to the destination but are routed via the NAT service on the host which modifies the packets so they seem to come from the host.

Well I'm curious, I guess this is impossible only in my case, but why? Can you be more specific? I just want to know why, cos maybe I

resolve.

What do you want to know exactly?

The same applies for IPv6. Each host needs its own unique IP address for the subnet its connected to.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

Tony1984
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Nothing have been changed, ifconfig -a shows the exact same thing as I showed you on the previous posts. Why should they change? I didn't setup nothing. Should I set up something? The processes I showed you were there, till when I installed vmware.

You told me that I couldn't have bridged connection after I showed you the ifconfig -a, but why? I dont want any special configuration. I just want to have regular bridged connection. What makes it "different" in my case is that I have 3 dedicated IP addresses, but I dont think that's a problem.

You are saying: But remember, you can't use the same IP address on two hosts at the same time. And you have two hosts (the VMware host and the VMware guest). Is this the default setup of vmware server? Cos I didnt change anything. I dont want 2 host or I dont want this complicated thing. Simple thing I want is to have bridged connection on my Virtual Operating system, the 'regular one'. Or maybe what you mean is that I cant use the same static IP on the host and on the guest at the same time? I didnt know that bridged worked like this.

Regards.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nothing have been changed, ifconfig -a shows the exact same thing as I showed you on the previous posts.

Good.

Why should they change?

Because people tend to try out things while posting here.

I didn't setup nothing.

Good.

Should I set up something?

Not requested by me.

You told me that I couldn't have bridged connection after I showed you the ifconfig -a, but why?

No, I didn't told you that. I told you only that you can't use an IP address on two hosts. The guest needs its own unique IP address, but from you posting I see it has not even one IP address.

I dont want any special configuration. I just want to have regular bridged connection. What makes it "different" in my case is

that I have 3 dedicated IP addresses, but I dont think that's a problem.

That depends on where you use the IP addresses. If they are already used on the host you can't use one of them in the guest.

You are saying: But remember, you can't use the same IP address on two hosts at the same time. And you have two hosts

(the VMware host and the VMware guest). Is this the default setup of vmware server?

Regardless of if you use VMware or something different. As soon as you have created a guest system (your virtual machine) you have two hosts. The host where VMware Server runs on and the virtual machine. And with each guest you add you add one host. That is not complicated. It's the same as if you would add a physical host to your network. And each host needs a unique IP address. Regardless if you use bridged or NAT. It's that easy. Standard TCP/IP business.

I dont want 2 host or I dont want this complicated thing.

If you don't want two hosts, why did you start with virtualization. That is the base purpose of virtualization. Adding hosts without the need to buy hardware for the new ones. Maybe you didn't realize the I referred to the virtual machine also as a host.

Or maybe what you mean is that I cant use the same static IP on the host and on the guest at the same time?

Exactly! But that isn't because you use bridged, that is because TCP/IP works that way. Everywhere on the world, on every system which uses TCP/IP.

I think you're missing some basics:

VMware offers three default kinds of networks. All apply to the standard TCP/IP rules.

First one is "bridged" or VMnet0:

When you use a bridged connection, the guest connects transparently to the network. Using its own MAC address and using its own unique IP setup.

Second one is "host-only" or VMnet1:

Again, the guest has its own vaild unique IP setup, but it is not connected to the physical network, but to a virtual one (VMnet1). The host is also connected to VMnet1 via its virtual network card VMnet1. As VMnet1 is a separate IP subnet it has its own subnet IP addresses (by default something like 192.168.x.x).

Third is "NAT" or VMnet8:

This is also a virtual network, like VMnet1 but here the host acts like a proxy for the guest. The guest has its own valid and unique IP address (from the VMnet8 IP subnet) and uses a virtual IP address as its gateway to the outside world (physical netwok). Using NAT makes it possible to hide the guest from the physical network because every packet seems to come form the host.

So, if you want to have your guest using a bridged connection, assign an IP address to it, which NO other host uses. Unfortunately I can't help you here, as you xxxxx'ed the most important information in your post, the IP addresses. These IP addresses are why this information is requested in this forum. If they need to be secret, you can xxx the first three digits of the address, but at least the three last parts must be shown. Otherwise we can't check if they are correct or not.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos