VMware Communities
musfa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Booting windows 7 64bit partition as RAW device in VMware workstation 7.1

My setup is a dual boot Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 7 64Bit on a 200Gig partition and Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze on a 100Gig partition. I've got workstation 7.1 installed in Linux and it works fine for virtual machines. The hard disk is a SATA.

I'm trying to boot the Windows 7 64Bit partition as RAW device. From different posting on this forum and also on the web, i had gathered that i needed to change the scsi entries to ide in the .vmx and also in .vmdk. Even with those changes i get a 7B BSOD error when booting windows VM. I had previously been able to do this on a Lenovo T400, with exactly the same dual boot setup.

I've also read from a KB that SATA is not supported as RAW device. The Linux hosts sees the SATA as SCSI device.

Anyone has any fresh ideas on this or have come across and solved this problem?

0 Kudos
23 Replies
apatrid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

pardon my ignorance, how do i check that? because I can see from fedora taht there are sets 001, 002, and 003...

i also came to windows to find that key but somehow I cannot find it...a full path would be helpful, especially when you know and do those tricks with load hive unload hive Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select - it has a key named default
if it is set to 1 then ControlSet001 is fine
if it is 2 you would use ControlSet002

you use Fedora to read or edit  Windows 7 registry ? - wow - good luck

0 Kudos
apatrid
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is using 2. I want to use fedora permanently and mostly boot windows as VM, however this is my 'fighting' laptop and I must be able to boot native windows just in case that some apps should not work with VM or something.

I expressed myself wrongly - I use fedora to start vmware and I edited registry through the windows repair disc booted within vmware...brb, restarting into fedora to see if this worked Smiley Happy  

AND, IT WORKS!!!

You the man! after I edited 002 it worked out very fine for me. You know this thing inside and out, respect, man! Where do I click thanks and reputation pluses? And if we ever meet IOU a beer or a few, at least Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ImageLevel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks continuum & IlDavo, you guys saved my life!

0 Kudos