VMware Communities
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Booting up from DVD ISO doesn't work

Hi,

I have a Ubuntu 14.04 L TS 64bit guest OS running on VMWare Workstation 12 Player on a Windows 10 host. Recently I've been unable to boot up to the guest OS due to /sbin/init not found, leading to kernel panic, so I thought I'd boot to a 14.04 Live DVD. I browsed to the ISO file in the VM settings, checked "Connect at power on", then upon boot up, I entered the boot menu and selected the CD drive to boot up to. However, the VM still boots up to the hard drive.

How do I boot up to a Live DVD?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
fugrat1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not sure how it works on player, but when I boot into the BIOS I always make sure that the CD/DVD virtual drive is showing as connected, sometimes restarting the machine can cause problems with this.  Also if you are using player I think you can only run VMs and I'm not sure if you can modify them so you may not be able to resolve the problem without a full version of Workstation

0 Kudos
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That was true for older versions of Player, but apparently from not for Workstation 12 Player. I was previously able to modify VM settings. For instance, I increased the HDD size as well as memory size. I also previously managed to boot from the CD drive by modifying boot priority, but I don't know why it isn't working now.

Other than trying the Live CD way, is there any other way to access the file system of the guest OS?

0 Kudos
kevin_007
Contributor
Contributor

Can you add your screenshot of your BIOS settings of the Boot Order tab? In my VMWare Workstation 12 Pro, I use the '+' or '-' to move the boot devices up and down to change the boot order.

0 Kudos
galapogos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here. I also used + to bring the CD drive to the top.

0 Kudos
fugrat1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you check that the ISO image is ok?  It may be that it is damaged and is not seen as bootable.  Are you able to create a new VM and test booting from the ISO to check that this works?

0 Kudos