VMware Communities
OliSharpe
Contributor
Contributor

Blue screen of death installing Workstation 7.1.4 on 64-bit Windows 7

Hello,

I've been trying to install VMware Workstation 7.1.4 on my 64-bit Windows 7 desktop machine (with a trial license) but, after an apparently successful install, it then gives me a blue screen of death upon restart. To recover from this I have to start up in safe mode and then restore the system back to a point before I attempted the install. A simple attempt to uninstall Workstation from safe mode results in a failure to run the MSI correctly.

After reading various posts I have attempted to install 7.1.4 with my Norton 360 Anit-Virus autoprotection and firewall turned off as well as the UAC set to the lowest level of "Never Notify" and running the installer .exe "as Administrator" using an account that already actually has full Administrator rights.

Has anyone else had similar problems on 64-bit Windows, or is this likely to be some bizzare corrupt state of my machine before the install attempt?

Any help much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Oli

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sparrowdclxvi
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running 7.1.4 on W7 x64, and have had no problems at all. I'm even using SATA3 drives with no issues. I don't have Norton though.

Can you do a fresh install of W7, and see if that resolves the problem? It might help if you post your hardware specs, although that's just a shot in the dark.

0 Kudos
grasshopper
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Confirm the integrity of the installation binaries with a tool such as winmd5sum if you haven't already:

http://www.nullriver.com/products/winmd5sum

Compare the output with the md5sum provided on the VMware download page.

If the binaries are good and the problem still persists you may consider troubleshooting the bsod itself if you can catch it (or perhaps view the details in the eventvwr system log).  If you end up with the only option being a clean reinstall of your host OS but you're not quite ready to give up yet, you may consider:

-  Upgrade the bios/firmware

-  Run a chkdsk /r and reboot

-  Disable any extra adapters or devices not needed

-  Apply all critical windows updates

-  Then do a full power down/up before installing the product

-  Basically throw the kitchen sink at it

I too run Workstation on x64 + Windows 7 without issue (although my freebie is running out).  I hope you can get it working and get some enjoyment out of it.  If not you can try the free VMware Server product or the free ESXi product if your hardware supports it.

0 Kudos
OliSharpe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for these suggestions. I did check the md5sum of the download and it was fine. I also actually tried the install with 7.1.3 at that gave the same result.

When I get a chance I will try some of these other suggestions and also try to look deeper into any possibly compatibility problems with my desktop. It's such an extreme problem that it probably is a problem with my desktop.

Many Thanks,

Oli

0 Kudos
Joe1948
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I always turn off the antivirus and spyware programs when installing complex software. Avast causes problems installing VM tools on guest if it is on.

Joe

0 Kudos