VMware Communities
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Blue screen error 0x000000D9

Hello,

In recent days, VMware Player and Worstation crash with a blue screen error 0x000000D9 "the driver is corrupting the

locked pages tracking structures".

The launch of the software goes well, it's just when I start my virtual machine it crashes.

And after the blue screen the computer reboots.

What should I do?

I attached the photo taken at the time of the crash.

Thank you for any help.

edit : I'm running Microsoft Vista, and the lastest Player and Workstation version.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Perhaps KB 2051 is relevant, even though it is for older products.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

What version of Workstation do you have installed? (Even though you say "latest version", there was a new version (6.5.1) released just a few days ago that you may not have seen yet).

Can you also attach the relevant mini dump file to this thread -- they are the small *.dmp files usually located in c:\windows\minidump ... attach one dated the last time Windows crashed for you.

0 Kudos
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player version 2.5.1 build 126130

Workstation 6.0.5 build 109488

In attchment my Minidump report

Thank you

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Running WinDbg against your provided .dmp file shows that is was the vmx86.sys driver that crashed. vmx86.sys does belong to VMware. Have you recently changed anything on your system (added more RAM, overclocked your system, installed new AntiVirus or Firewall software)? If so, perhaps it caused the problem...

If it was my computer, the next thing I would do is test the RAM for problems. If you have 4 GB or less of installed RAM, then the Windows Memory Diagnostics is perfect for testing RAM. To start the tool from Vista, click Start -> type "mdsched.exe" -> Enter.

Also, an uninstall/reinstall/upgrade of VMware Workstation might help. There is a newer version of VMware Workstation available (a free upgrade for registered users of 6.0.x). Version 6.5.1 is available for download at http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/

0 Kudos
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your help !

I search on google for vmx86.sys, I found : , telling the sys file is a VMware kernel driver.

So should I do something this file ?

I didn't add more RAM, neither drivers nor softwares.

I lauched mdsched.exe , the result was clean, nothing to repair.

I finally uninstall Workstation and Player, then install the lastest Player. (v 2.5.1 | 2008/11/21 | Build: 126130)

I rebooted when aked, then now when I lauch a VM, I’ve got :

Unable to open kernel device "
.\Global\vmx86": The specified file cannot be found.. Did you reboot after installing VMware Player?

+ Failed to initialize monitor device.+

Yes I have rebooted twice.. but no crash anymore!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You said this problem started happening a few days ago. What changed on your Host?

I forgot to ask if you get the same problem with all of your Guest VMs, or if the problem is just with one particular Guest?

Your new error message sounds like the reinstall of VMware didn't work... guess you need to get that working first. I don't have a suggestion for you on that.. perhaps someone else on the forums has a suggestion for you???

0 Kudos
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't really know what causes crashes.. I don't have any idea of what I've done because I installed nohting.

"I forgot to ask if you get the same problem with all of your Guest VMs, or if the problem is just with one particular Guest?"

All of my VMs do it ( I have Windows XP, Ubuntu, Debian, and FreeBSD)

I 've tried to reinstall it, by giving to the installer argument like /? to show install option (C:/ Mware-player-2.5.1-12613.exe /? )

So I passed /c argument, then a normal installation... Starting a Vm... Crash again Smiley Sad

Minidump attached..

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Just a hunch... Did you perhaps install the newer version of the Player without first uninstalling the older version of Workstation? If so, that won't work as it mixes different driver versions. Since you own Workstation, you should not run the standalone Player installer (VMware Player is actually included with the Workstation install). If you want the newer Player you'll need to install the newer Workstation (or uninstall Workstation first).

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Oh, the latest minidump you attached still references the vmx86.sys driver. (See attached).

0 Kudos
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I uninstall each product and then just install Player.

The crash still here, and the minidump still saying it's because of wmx86.sys

Don't know what to do with that Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Perhaps KB 2051 is relevant, even though it is for older products.

0 Kudos
pyro49
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

IT WORKS !!

Thanks !! Smiley Happy)

Solution :

To fix this problem, open regedit and change the TrackLockedPages setting as follows:

1. Open a command prompt, then type regedit to open the Registry Editor.

2. Navigate to the following entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

3. Change the REG_DWORD value for the TrackLockedPages key from 1 to 0.

Alternatively, run verifier /reset from Start > Run

0 Kudos