VMware Communities
brianl999
Contributor
Contributor

Blank screen after XP Splash screen

Hello all

Running VMware Workstation v6.5.3 on WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit.

I am trying to boot a machine that was imaged using EnCase by Guidance Software. The image is mounted using Mount Image Pro. The OS I am trying to boot is WinXP Home. On power-up, I see the VMware BIOS screen, then the XP splash screen, then the screen goes blank. The disk activity indicator is still showing disk access, and it appears that the system is still booting. After awhile I am prompted to install VMware Tools, but the display is still blank.

I have the original hardware, so I restored the image to a new drive and booted the original computer. The computer has on-board video as well as a Nvidia Quadro 1700. I connected a monitor to the on-board video and saw the same behaviour, BIOS, splash screen, then blank, but you can still see HDD activity. If I switch the monitor to the Nvidia adaptor output, it works.

So it seems that the VM is using the on-board video? Is there a way I can force it otherwise?

Thanks,

Brian

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Brian,

I suggest you configure the source to use the onboard video only (display properties) before imaging.

André

0 Kudos