VMware Communities
highend
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen - high processor load

Hi,

I'm currently using VMware Workstation 7.1.4 Build 385536 in trial mode on a 4 core Q6600 Intel Core2 CPU.

Host OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 (german)

Guest OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1 (english)

No other software installations in that vm and no screensaver is used.

The VMware window is running on the second monitor (no unity) and my text editor (running on the physical os) is on top of the whole VMware window.

After a few minutes working with the text editor the process monitor (physical os) shows high cpu load (25%, one of 4 cores is busy).

If I minimize the text editor, the screen of the virtual os is black and I have to click inside that os to see the windows desktop again.

One second later the cpu load lowers to it's normal rate.

3 questions:

- Why is the virtual os screen turning black at all (I can't see any configuration option for this kind of thing in the VMware config options)?

- Why does the cpu load occupies the whole virtual (and therefore physical, too) processor when the black screen happens?

- How do I stop the autoactivating of the black screen on the virtual os at all (and therefore hopefully the high cpu load)?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Have you installed the VMware Tools in the guest OS?

It sounds like the guest OS is, after detecting idle activity for some time, starting some optimizing routines which are taking up CPU resources.

0 Kudos
highend
Contributor
Contributor

Robert D. Petruska schrieb:

Have you installed the VMware Tools in the guest OS?

It sounds like the guest OS is, after detecting idle activity for some time, starting some optimizing routines which are taking up CPU resources.

Yes, the VMware tools are installed in the guest vm.

There aren't any optimizing routines running when this happens.

The reason for the black screen is the configuration for the current power plan (10 minutes, power off the monitor).

And when the guest os powers the monitor off, the vmware-vmx.exe on the host os raises the cpu load to 25%.

Is this a known bug (guest os powers off the (virtual) monitor and the vmware-vmx.exe on the host freaks out)?

0 Kudos
klauzser
Contributor
Contributor

i am actually new here. i have black screen on my VM's as well. I forgot to install VMware Tools in my guest OS. i though this is just the problem, but nothing changed. how can i fix this?https://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/vmware-cool.gif

0 Kudos