VMware Communities
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

Beware 12.5 - networking issues

I join the crowd that networking in 12.5 is broken.

I run a Windows 7 Pro Host and several Windows 7 Pro guests. My network configuration simple, the default and it would not work with 12.5.

Fell back to 12.1.1.

Dale...

0 Kudos
7 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, dalewood:

Welcome the the community, what is your VM's connection type, NAT or Bridged ? and would you please paste your config about the Virtual Network Editor? Thanks very much

0 Kudos
LaurentJ75012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same, I gave up and went back to NAT.

0 Kudos
www23456
Contributor
Contributor

could you try the workaround:

1.       Uninstall the 12.5

2.       Reboot the host.

3.       Install the 12.5

4.       Reboot the host.

5.       Open Virtual Network Editor, give the admin privilege to the Editor by Click the Change Settings button. (Skip this step if you login the Host OS as administrator and there is no “Change Settings” button)

6.       Do not remove VMnet1 and VMnet8, instead, select VMnet1, uncheck “Connect a host virtual adapter to this network”, select VMnet8, uncheck ”Connect a host virtual adapter to this network”.

7.       Run ipconfig, there is no VMnet1 and VMnet8 adapter.

8.       Run a VM check the bridged network is working

9.       Reboot the Host, run a VM to check the network again.

Or: try to change the regkey:

##regedit

Computer\HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\VMnetUserif:

Start REG_WORD 0x00000003(3)

change from 3 to 0x00000002(2)

0 Kudos
dalewood
Contributor
Contributor

Bridged.

I saw the posted workaround but I fell back to the previous release and will wait until further updates are issued.

12.5 appears to be pretty scary and a big disappointment in VMware...

0 Kudos
Kandooly
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

None of workarounds worked for me to save settings of bridged VMnets. After 4 hours finally I found this way that seems do the trick:

Add below lines to registry for every VMnet that you want to stay in bridge mode and restart the host: (sample is for VMnet0 and VMnet1)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetBridge]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetBridge\Adapters]

"Test"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig\vmnet0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLib\VMnetConfig\vmnet1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetBridge]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetBridge\Adapters]

"Test"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig\vmnet0]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMnetLibSaved\VMnetConfig\vmnet1]

G!v3M35

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Kandooly:

Thanks for your feedback about your workaround for this issue. And would you please help me confirm some information?

1)  What's your host system? Win7 or Win10?

2)  Seems you have configured VMnet0 and VMnet1 as two bridge and connect to two separate physical network adapters, right? Do not have other vmnet of NAT or Host-only?  I will appreciate if you can provide your detail configuration about vmnet

3) Even you follow the two workarounds provided by "www23456", the bridged vmnet still missing after your reboot your host system?

0 Kudos