VMware Communities
HabsFan
Contributor
Contributor

Best host OS for general VM performance

Hi I have been running +/-60 VMs spread over a number of XP and 2003 Windows hosts, as I was unfamiliar with Linux. However I have been slowly but surely gaining experience with Linux and I'm hopeful that some flavor of Linux provides better resource allocation and management than Windows. Does anyone have a suggestion as to which Linux is best, and a reason why?

I know I should likely move from Workstation to Server but I'm hooked on the candy...Workstation is just SOOO easy to use!. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Please search VMTN groups on this topic. Question was asked many times.

I personally suggest that you stay with Windows since your experience is there.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

I'd agree with Peter. If you like windows, and know it well, go with that. If however, you are interested in furthering your experience with linux, and these aren't production...Try fedora. It's super easy. I've had a fedora core 4 box up since it came out, running vmware server.

W.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
HabsFan
Contributor
Contributor

I am very interested in furthering my experience with Linux. Windows is easy but povides limited options in many respects. Most of my VMs are production but I have a few test boxes to play with.

Thanks for taking the time to provide that info William.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

The problem with Linux is there are many distributions and releases, which make difficult to find best match for particular hardware you have.

On top of that, VMware is in transition for free VMware Server product, old version 1.0.x does not support new Linux distributions out of the box.

Not sure about Workstation.

0 Kudos