VMware Communities
ReddotCity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Best OS for linux beginner

hello,,

i want to learn Hacking Test And Penetration But First My Aim is to learn linux commands i know half of them but i need to learn more and get enough knowledge so any advice for easy OS to start with i also heard about debian or ubuntu and , Fedora

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, this can get religious... Smiley Happy

If all you want to do is learn Linux commands, you can do a lot of that on W10 with the Bash shell.

But, the distro choice can depend on your host's resources and the version of Workstation. Most arguments about distros center around the desktop default rather than capability, the old install difficulties are gone. I lean towards the Debian derivatives Ubuntu and Mint, LTS versions. Fedora is very popular but seems to be a little too bleeding edge for me (to be honest, I haven't run it in a long time). My host system is Mint, still at 17.1, with the Mate desktop. I have Ubuntu Mate, Mint Cinnamin (18), Centos 7.0, and some older VM's installed for development purposes and "fiddling".  I use an up-to-date but otherwise unused Ubuntu VM to do on-line stuff, returning it to a snapshot when done. Yes, I am paranoid.

There is no "silver bullet", any OS takes time to learn if you want to do more than email, office stuff, and Internet surfing.

If you want GUI a desktop, I would start with Mint-Mate or Ubuntu-Mate, LTS. If you liked the Windows 8 desktop, maybe Mint Cinnamon (Unity in Ubuntu is going away).

Minimal Desktop: Xfce

If you don't need GUI, I would install Ubuntu Server.

It is so easy and fast to install them, try several. Don't let it update until you poke around a little (to save time). You don't need to cut a DVD, just boot and install from the ISO.

Lou

Edit: If all you want to do is learn Linux commands, use a Raspberry Pi and use SSH (PuTTy in Windows). Fun little computer, $35. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, this can get religious... Smiley Happy

If all you want to do is learn Linux commands, you can do a lot of that on W10 with the Bash shell.

But, the distro choice can depend on your host's resources and the version of Workstation. Most arguments about distros center around the desktop default rather than capability, the old install difficulties are gone. I lean towards the Debian derivatives Ubuntu and Mint, LTS versions. Fedora is very popular but seems to be a little too bleeding edge for me (to be honest, I haven't run it in a long time). My host system is Mint, still at 17.1, with the Mate desktop. I have Ubuntu Mate, Mint Cinnamin (18), Centos 7.0, and some older VM's installed for development purposes and "fiddling".  I use an up-to-date but otherwise unused Ubuntu VM to do on-line stuff, returning it to a snapshot when done. Yes, I am paranoid.

There is no "silver bullet", any OS takes time to learn if you want to do more than email, office stuff, and Internet surfing.

If you want GUI a desktop, I would start with Mint-Mate or Ubuntu-Mate, LTS. If you liked the Windows 8 desktop, maybe Mint Cinnamon (Unity in Ubuntu is going away).

Minimal Desktop: Xfce

If you don't need GUI, I would install Ubuntu Server.

It is so easy and fast to install them, try several. Don't let it update until you poke around a little (to save time). You don't need to cut a DVD, just boot and install from the ISO.

Lou

Edit: If all you want to do is learn Linux commands, use a Raspberry Pi and use SSH (PuTTy in Windows). Fun little computer, $35. 

ReddotCity
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

after i did a little search i heard also about arch and alot other Softwares but i finally decided to use "Linux Mint" Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
CWestwater
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good choice.  I am trying to learn more about Linux and picked a project of using Jekyll and Github pages on Mint as the VM in Workstation I would use to do it.  Liking it so far!

0 Kudos