VMware Communities
ehenciak
Contributor
Contributor

Basic question about VMware Workstation 7

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am pretty much brand new to virtual machines. I have a quick question and I doubt there is a solution, but here it goes.

I currently have a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 host running Ubuntu 9.10 x64 in a Virtual Machine. Everything is working exactly as expected :-). I miss using Linux, but a lot of my recent work has pretty much forced me to use Windows.

Anyway, what I would like to do is call a program that is installed on my Windows 7 host and operate on files on my virtual Linux machine. I know this sounds strange, but let me try to explain as what I am hoping to do is nothing malicious. I am a hardware engineer and use a program called Modelsim to simulate hardware designs written in languages like Verilog and VHDL. My version of Modelsim is Modelsim PE. I do not have the ability to run this particular version under Linux as it does not exist (I know others do, but I am not licensed to use them). I also use a program called Xilinx ISE. This allows me to build FPGA designs based on my simulated code. Now here's the tricky part.

I want to use the 64 bit version of ISE and its partner program EDK, but EDK is not available as a 64 bit Windows application. Moreover, by many accounts, Xilinx's tools simply work better under Linux. Where I run into a problem is that all of the simulation models for Xilinx's primitives need to be compiled so that I can run some simulations that use these primitives. Normally, I run a program called "compxlib" to compile all of this stuff. My problem is that my simulator is in the Windows domain and I know of no way to call that from my Linux VM. Please be aware that the code that is compiled is not an executable targeted for some processor ... it's more like a proprietary code Modelsim uses to perform simulations.

If I could get this to work, I'd be in heaven as its like having the best of both worlds ... Linux has so many tools I love using. I know I can get some of them by running Cygwin, but that actually messes with Xilinx's EDK as it relies on a stripped down version of Cygwin to compile stuff for both hard and soft core processors embedded in FPGAs.

Is there a way to do this? I tried installing my Modelsim under Wine, but even if that worked, I doubt my licensing dongle would work. What scares me is that I had read an old article where someone was trying to do what I want to do for malicious purposes and I fear the functionality I need might not be available. However, if this can be done, please let me know as it would be EXTREMELY useful.

Thanks! And I hope I can contribute something somday!!!

Ed

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricBryant
Contributor
Contributor

What about something like WINE for Linux, which allows you to run Windows programs inside Linux? Then you would access to the Linux system.

Hope this helps!

Eric

Web Design &

Internet Marketing

http://www.corezero.com

Web Design & Internet Marketing http://www.corezero.com
0 Kudos
ehenciak
Contributor
Contributor

I already tried Wine and Modelsim wouldn't even install. It crashes as soon as I launch the installer for the windows

program. Hmmm, I wonder if I just copy the needed executables from my windows install over to Linux...in that case,

all I have to do is hope the dongle works.

I am going to keep on searching for a way. Again, all I need to do is tell the Linux to launch a program on the Windows host ... heck, the program

on the Windows machine doesn't even need any graphics or anything when compiling a batch of files ... it simply compiles the code

into its own format (i.e. if I ever did get access to the Linux version of the program I am using, I could use the libraries I compiled in Windows since it is all the same kind of file). It's a shame a simple script isn't available to let me do this. In the end, what I could do is just install the Windows Xilinx tools, compile everything, then uninstall them (a pain, but that would work).

I know I am probably not explaining this clearly....sorry about that.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the forums, I am going to move your post to an area of the Site that gets more traffic, hopefully somebody will be able to help you there

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author on "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://www.amazon.co.uk/VMware-VSphere-Virtual-Infrastructure-Security/dp/0137158009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256146240&sr=1-1]”.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos