VMware Communities
ankitgautam50
Contributor
Contributor

Basic networking in vmware workstation.

Hi, all.

I am new to this forum. I am using vmware workstation and have 2 virtual machines.

1. windows 2003 server

2. windows xp professional

Right now i have setup these virtual machines to Bridged network, and i can use my internet connection in both th evirtual machines as well as host machine.

What i want to do is to setup the two virtual machines as they are on a LAN.

Please tell me the steps involved in as simple way as you can because i am not networking professional.

I use Airtel broadband connection to connect to internet and it does not have a static ip address.

Please help me, i want to study networking this way practically.

Thankx very much.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Right now i have setup these virtual machines to Bridged network, and i can use my internet connection in both th evirtual machines as well as host machine.

What i want to do is to setup the two virtual machines as they are on a LAN.

Hmmm, I don't understand. They are on the LAN already. What do you want to achieve exactly?

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

There are 4 networking options such as NAT, Bridge, Custom and Hosted that can choose. If your virtual machine has NIC card than it should already have networking capabilities, and you have to set TCP/IP settings accordingly to your networkin scheme 192.x.x.x. etc...or youc an choose "NAT" option and that the VMs can get out to the internet instantly assuming your hosted machine has connection to internet. You can read more about networking concepts via www.vmware.com or quick google will have bunch to read.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you want both VMs in a isolated LAN ?

assign vmnet9 - custom to both VMs and see what happens

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

ankitgautam50
Contributor
Contributor

First of All thanks,

You said that they are already on a network. What i want to do is:

From my network places(server 2003) --> workgroup I want to go to windows xp sahred folders.

as in any lab setup we can see all other computers on the LAN using workgroup, i want to do the same with only these two computers on the LAN.

plese help.

thankx

0 Kudos
ankitgautam50
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much. one of my primary problems have been resolved now.

i have created a new xin xp virtual machine, so now i have two xp vm and 1 server 2003 vm.

in the two xp i have created workgroup mshome and both of the xp vm are functioning properly. now when i tried the same in server 2003 i can`t because in server 2003 my network places there is no way to setup a small home network.

what i want to do is to study Active Directory, for that i have server 2003. i want these two xp vm to be connected to the server 2003, so that i can add these two as computers in the active directory.

I think you understand what i wnat to do. is it the way to do it. please help.

once again thanks a lot.

0 Kudos