VMware Communities
RandomJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Bad performance with multiple vCPUs

FYI, with the host and guest listed below, enabling more than one vCPU in the guest really slows down boot up, logon and GUI apps in the guest. Using only a single vCPU for the guest shaved more than a minute off the guest boot-up process and made guest GUI apps much more responsive.

(Incidentally, VirtualBox 3.1.2 also suffers a bit of GUI slow down from having multiple vCPUs in the exact same guest (with VirtualBox additions instead of VMware tools) but the slow down was much less bad than in Workstation 7, almost unnoticeable really. But with only a single vCPU configured, Workstation 7 boots the guest a bit faster than VirtualBox 3.1.2 and GUI app responsiveness seemed about the same, maybe a tiny bit slower.)

Also, in general, I'm getting more host locks-ups with Workstation 7 than I did with Workstation 6.5 (with the same host and guests). It's hard to isolate the circumstances which trigger the hangs, but it feels like VMware is swapping out pages after some idle time, then the hang occurs after interacting with the guest or VMware itself and the page is unavailable or something (not sure, but I am getting more hang-ups in general).

Host: 64-bit Win7 Ultimate, Dell Studio XPS laptop, Core i7 CPU, 4GB RAM, Workstation 7.0.0 (build 203739).

Guest: 64-bit Win2008-R2 Enterprise, latest tools installed, host-only networking, 1280MB RAM, configured as domain controller, IIS, CA, RRAS and NPS.

0 Kudos
0 Replies