VMware Communities
HabsFan
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up running VMs

Hi, does anyone have experience with implementing a VM backup solution that does not required downtime? I have about 50 VMs running over 4 servers which run Windows Server 2003 and VMWare Workstation 6.02 I have 9TB of iSCSI storage avilable to which I would like to backup each of the 4 My Virtual Machines folders on a weekly basis however backup software does not seems to like the locked files caused by the powered-on VMs. This seems to be similar to the manner in which databases lock files that are consistently being altered and I know there are backup solutions available for that. I know that pausing/shutting down etc.. using batch files has been done sucessfully but downtime for these VMs is really not an option.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If downtime is really not an option, then you need to treat these VMs exactly like you would treat real physical computers, and install a Backup Agent on each guest OS, and have the software create backups of the guests.

HabsFan
Contributor
Contributor

As much as that sucks, I do very much appreciate your response. I guess I could always ask Santa...

0 Kudos
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Move to vmware server 2.0 which has hot backups with vss capability