VMware Communities
driessen
Contributor
Contributor

Backing up clients

Hello,

Most clients on my vmware workstation must always be turned on. So shutting down all clients and then copying the images to a backup server is not an option. Can someone tell me if there is an easy/automated way to backup clients(images) without the need to shutdown all clients?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Back them up using backup agents or schedule backups from within guests (clients, virtual machines...).

0 Kudos
driessen
Contributor
Contributor

-I can't copy/backup a image file when a client is running.

-A backup agent within the guests is not an option because I want to backup the whole image(faster recovery).

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

There are also imaging tools that run from within a guest.

Or create two stage recovery (image to restore OS, then restore files from more recent backup).

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

-I can't copy/backup a image file when a client is running.

-A backup agent within the guests is not an option because I want to backup the whole image(faster recovery).

Workstation does not have the function you're requesting. You'll want to install something like Ghost or Trueimage in your guests. Image the guest just like you would a physical machine. You will get a snapshot image of the guest machine that you can either restore to a new or existing VM (just like you would restore to a physical machine with a new blank hard drive) or you can recover individual files from the snapshot image.

0 Kudos