VMware Communities
alxmlr
Contributor
Contributor

BUG: Guest OS hangs every few seconds when host has unconnected network drives

Hi all,

I can't somehow submit a bug report to VMWare because it's so astonishing hard to use their website and I don't want to lose much more time... So please somebody from VMWare READ THIS and file this as a bug:

Product: VMware Workstation

Version 6.5.1 build-126130

Guest OS: Windows Server 2003 SP1

Host OS: Windows XP SP2

Problem: Host has some mapped network drives from its Office domain. When the host is started without connection to the domain, the network drives remain as mapped in Windows, but are not accessible (of course). However this seems to affect VMWare in a way that the guest OS is unusable because it times out in some IO every few seconds. Seems to be the case for all guest OSs. This sucks utterly for guys that travel with laptops and don't want to lose their UNC paths (yeah, there might be a workaround, but it sucks anyway).

cheers

alex

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Deloware
Contributor
Contributor

I can reproduce this behaviour:

Product: VMware Workstation

Version: 6.5.2 build-156735

Guest OS: Windows XP SP 2

Host OS: Windows Vista SP 2

This is very annoying since all input on the guest is blocked maybe every minute for about 5 seconds. Once the network drive is mounted, this blocking stops.

Is there any fix for this?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are either of you using VMware Shared Folders? If so, stop as they are buggy.

What antivirus are you running on your Host? Any other 3rd party firewalls or other "security" software installed on the host?

0 Kudos
Deloware
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, actually the VM Shared Folders were the problem that caused the frequent freezes. After I stopped them the problems disappeared.

Thanks for your fast reply and your support.

0 Kudos