VMware Communities
Qlippoth
Contributor
Contributor

BUG (Data Loss): Workstation Pro 16.2.3 losing disk files (when repeatedly falling back to snapshot)

This happened once before in an earlier version of 16, and I attributed it to some fluke.

I'm running a test against our product, I have a snapshot right before a reproducible error case and was returning to a snapshot to run permutations on that test. But after 4 or 5 reverts to the pre-test snapshot, Workstation has lost the last disk update and the VM won't start anymore.

Event 1: Lost another snapshot file leaving the VM and snapshots useless.
Event 2: I've also had the .vmx file go missing, there might be a file handling bug in 16.
Event 3: This one.

I'm running:
Windows 10 Pro (21H1 / Build 19043.1586)
VMWare Workstation Pro: 16.2.3 build-19376536

No mentions of AV noticing VMWare or disk activity (BitDefender).
SSD is a barely used SATA Micron 5100

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You should note this is a user community, I’ll tag @Mikero as he is the only forum user I know that works in the Workstation product team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Is the support bundle really the one you wanted to upload ?
I spend 15 minutes with your dump and saw no relation to your post.
Please dont waste our time ....

Ulli

0 Kudos
Qlippoth
Contributor
Contributor

That is unfortunate. I am unfamiliar with the bundle feature, I simply used the Help/Support/Collect Support Data feature and attached the resulting file. Perhaps I need to perform the bundle generation right after the issue, I do not understand the feature, or there is no logging for these types of events.

I am likely to run into this issue again, I've taken a backup and am doing the same activities today. Is there some special way I need to use the Collect Support Data feature?

0 Kudos