VMware Communities
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BSOD For Windows 10 20H2 Guest

VMWare Workstation 16.0.0 build-16894299

This is a fairly recent new Windows install.  I did not even get a chance to turn off the default automatic reboot to be able to read the reason for the crash.  I vaguely saw a VMWare driver but I do not remember which.  There is not much in Event Viewer other than the following:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001b (0xfffff8031b631170, 0xffffbc8aaa9471f0, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 56b42d28-a6b5-4d6f-add1-5186e35ab8e6.

I have the MEMORY.DMP file and also C:\Windows\Minidump\110720-15953-01.dmp.  Let me know if you want these, and I will send to help fix this issue.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unlucky for me this is reproducible.

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue still happens under 16.1.0 build-17198959.  The cause of the blue screen is starting 64-bit Araxis Merge version 2020.5480 under a guest.  It happens under both Linux and Windows hosts.  Staring this application causes the guest to completely crash with a blue screen.

0 Kudos
Schronz65
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the same effect using Fusion Professional 12.1.0 (17195230) regardless which version of VMware-Tools is installed within the VM.

0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are there any updates on this issue?  Has a defect ticket been opened to resolve?  Is anything going on with this at all?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Dryne 

VMTN is a user community forum, not an official technical support forum - therefore creating a post here does not raise any kind of support ticket.

I am tagging @Mikero - he is part of the Workstation team at VMware.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am sure you are aware that VMWare does not offer any free technical support at all even for product bugs. My only option is to post here.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@Dryne 

I am indeed, hence me also being clear with expectations in terms of VMTN.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Dryne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue now no longer happens.  The latest Araxis Merge version can execute without issue under the latest VMWare Workstation build.

Thank you.

0 Kudos