VMware Communities
bartgrefte
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic bridging settings, distinguish between network cards

Is there a way to get the automatic bridging settings window to show the network card names that I set and not the names displayed in the device manager?

The device manager (and the virtual network editor) lists the network cards with almost identical names, the only difference being a number at the end. At Windows' network connections window I set different names to make it easier to distinguish the nic's, but VMware Workstation isn't using those names.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

There is no option that allows to change the display name - other than changing the DeviceDesc key for that device in registry.

I highly recommend not to attempt that.

Just widen the column in Virtual Network Editor so that you can see the full name.

0 Kudos
bartgrefte
Contributor
Contributor

Messing with the registry isn't something I'm gonna do Smiley Wink

As for widening the column, I don't see how that makes it easier to distinguish between the network cards?

vmware.jpg

The problem is that the names displayed make it very difficult to tell which is which. There's not even an indicator for which is actually connected, that could've helped. (Note: there will be more nic's as soon as I'm done with setting up VLAN on the host, no idea how Workstation will display those.)

0 Kudos