VMware Communities
misterarduino
Contributor
Contributor

Automatic Bridging Settings not showing any device

This is the problem that is making me crazy the whole day:

1. I  installed VMware player v6.0.2 build-1744117 on a Lenovo ideapad U530 Windows 8.1 (first time on this model with Windows 8.1)
  2. Installed UBUNTU 14.04 (nothing new so far, this is something I've done many many many times, on different machines)
  3. Since my final purpose of the vm is to implement hadoop (still nothing new), I need to bridge the ethernet connection of the host, and replicate the physical network connection state
  4. PROBLEM: When "Configuring Adapters", Automatic Bridging settings module does not show any network adapter/devices (no wifi, no ethernet nic, nothing).
  5. I disabled all probable obstructing softwares (antivirus, firewall, defender, etc)
  6. I reinstalled VMplayer as administrator, in windows 7 compatibility mode, anyhow, all the possible combinations of compatibility mode you may imagine. Nothing yet.
  7. I downloaded VMNETCFG.exe, restore everything, tried to create a bridged connection, and got the error "Cannot change network to bridged: There are no un-bridged host network adapters" (dead end, I don't know how to tackle this error)
  8. Tried to reinstall "SERVICE" package on each wifi and ethernet device on "VMWARE BRIDGE PROTOCOL". Installed Vmware bridge protocol again. No such luck
  9. Running out of ideas, I got out my old Dell inspiron Windows 8, install Vmware player, and it's working as a charm. When configuring adapters, all network devices are shown Wifi, Ethernet, etc (even Bluetooth!!). Bridging was possible without problems, ethernet or wifi devices were displayed and enabled for selection.

Conclusion: I assumed that this is problem related to Windows 8.1, however, I'm unable to identify what's hiding the network devices to the Automatic Bridging Settings.

Any help?

Thank you.

Marco.

7 Replies
pepelegalbr
Contributor
Contributor

Same here!

I'm using Windows 8.1 with VMWare Workstation 11 and there is no adapter to bridge on list. The vmware does not see my wireless NIC.

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the post. May you please provide more details for the issue you meet? Such as the hardware, host, guest OS version. And it would be better if you upload the logs as well.

sergel
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing the exact same issues however after upgrading VMware Workstation from 10.0.2 to 11.0.0. on my laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All bridged networks have disappeared from the Virtual Network Editor and trying to create a new virtual network and bridge it generates an error that states that there are no physical network left to bridge...

0 Kudos
notjordan
Contributor
Contributor

This is definitely occurring for me on Workstation v11.

HP Zbook 15 G2

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

32GB RAM

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM

Host OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Guest OS:  All (Mainly Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).

VMWare Workstation 11 (and same issue when reverted to 10)

Available bridge interfaces in the VNE are the bluetooth and in my case a Check Point virtual network due to the VPN client installed. The wired and wireless networks do not show.

I have done multiple uninstalls / reinstalls including a downgrade to v10.  No difference.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
imel
Contributor
Contributor

Hi to all,

i have the same issue and that is how i solved it.

===Observations====

Windows 8.1 Ent x64 (Fully Update)

VMware WS 11 (Build 2496824)

Bridge mode (only list Bluetooth PAN adapter)

===Resolution====

1. Going to device manager

2. Uninstall the real(s) interface(s) (have two real interfaces in my case)

3. Shutdown or reboot the computer

4. After rebooting, the real(s) interface(s) reappear and reinstall itself automatically

5. Open VMware WS and go to virtual network editor, bridge mode will list now all the interface, if not

a) Click on "Change settings"

b) Click on "Restore Defaults"

6. Real(s) Interface(s) should appear now

I reproduce the case twice and the solution work twice times

Nice virtualization...

notjordan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Imel,

Thanks for that - worked for me too.  In fact, deleting just the Ethernet interface seemed to shuffle the bindings enough to have the Ethernet and wireless interfaces re-appear.

Thanks again,

James

0 Kudos
Joozt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

I had the same issue using VMWare Workstation 12 Player. Removing NIC's on my host did not solve my problem.

I finally found that within my installation folder of VM-player on my host the Network Configuration tool VMNETCFG.exe as not included.

After downloading this file from the internet and copying it to the VM-player installation folder my problem was solved and all NIC's showed up.

Regards,

Joost

0 Kudos