VMware Communities
GusJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Autologin to Windows 10 using Microsoft Account in Workstation Pro 12?

Hi, I did not manage to figure out how to automatically login to my Windows 10 VM using a Microsoft Account in Workstation Pro 12. Could you, please, help?

If I'd be instructed to use a local account, please also let me know if I'll log into the same account to which I'd log in using the Microsoft Account – so if there's an account doe and an MS Acccount named doe@foo.com linked to it, is it the same to log on using joe and doe@foo.com?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GusJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the tip. I'd rather recommend people to use the "official" way described in Turn on automatic logon to not have their clear password stored in the Registry. Since it is your Microsoft Account's password, once it get stolen, the bad guys can not only log on to many sites and devices, but even purchase with your payment method, or access your mails, too.

On the other hand, I do not think enabling auto-logon should be a correct and complete answer from VMware. I do understand and appreciate Workstation Pro cannot be used to sing in to a domain, however Microsoft Accounts is not a domain in this sense. An update should be released which does not give us error messages when the domain part is MicrosoftAccount. This would let us use our workgroup PCs conveniently, while enterprise use is still forbidden. Could you, please, forward this request to the relevant parties?

Kind regards.

Gus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Workstation only support the Autologin using local Account,  however, you can config the auto Microsoft Account in the VM, 

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/06/log-automatically-windows-8-using-microsoft-account/

GusJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for the tip. I'd rather recommend people to use the "official" way described in Turn on automatic logon to not have their clear password stored in the Registry. Since it is your Microsoft Account's password, once it get stolen, the bad guys can not only log on to many sites and devices, but even purchase with your payment method, or access your mails, too.

On the other hand, I do not think enabling auto-logon should be a correct and complete answer from VMware. I do understand and appreciate Workstation Pro cannot be used to sing in to a domain, however Microsoft Accounts is not a domain in this sense. An update should be released which does not give us error messages when the domain part is MicrosoftAccount. This would let us use our workgroup PCs conveniently, while enterprise use is still forbidden. Could you, please, forward this request to the relevant parties?

Kind regards.

Gus

0 Kudos