VMware Communities
sppru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Autoconnect USB device no longer works in VMWare Workstation 15

The autoconnection of USB devices is no longer working in VMware 15 for me.

In the config file there is a record:

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:1/3/0/1 autoclean:1" - Is this setting deprecated in version 15
but in the log file I see
USB: Skiping autoconnect in WS, using askconnect

In the log file from version 14 there was a record that the connection was successful.

Cofig file is the same, no changes.

Can anyone help or try if the autoconnect works  in your case.

41 Replies
Weldon314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I updated to 15.0.1 build 10737736 (see image version)

I have set the VMX  usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE"  (see image autoconnect_settings)

I attach the usb device to the VM ( see image connected to VM)

then i shut down and restart the VM  and the USB device does not reattach (see image after_reboot)

What am I missing?  Thank you for all of the effort.

0 Kudos
sppru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still doesn't work for me with 15.0.1. USB device just doesn't connect automatically when VM is started. Deleted the remembered rule and recreated it again but simply doesn't work.

I cannot see the release notes.

0 Kudos
Weldon314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this is the link that worked to the release notes for me.

VMware Workstation 15.0.1 Pro Release Notes

sppru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, but see the link https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/164 it refers to. It's wrong. It should be https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1648

• Editing the VMX file of a virtual machine to automatically connect a USB device does not have the desired effectAfter you edit the configuration file (.vmx) of a virtual machine to include an autoConnect entry for a USB device, as described in https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/164, the USB device does not automatically connect to the virtual machine at power on.

This issue is resolved.
0 Kudos
Weldon314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

could be why the issue we are having is not fixed. . .

0 Kudos
sppru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I want to put this link here https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1648

I saw it was last updated today. And the other link in the release notes has the number eight, that should be at the end, omitted.

After adding usb.autoConnect.device0 = "vid:0123 pid:abcd" to the config .vmx file I can confirm that it works the right way and as expected. The issue is resolved for me. When I start or reboot the VM the USB device configured in usb.autoConnect entry connects automatically.

But still not working with the new Ask connect feature.

Thanks.

bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi sppru,

When you say "But still not working with the new Ask connect feature.", did you mean you want to be able to automatically connect USB device to VM at power on for USB devices that have remembered rules?

In Workstaion 15.0.1, we brought autConnect in KB VMware Knowledge Base , but did not enable askConnect at VM power on. Is that what you want?

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The autoConnect feature in KB VMware Knowledge Base  is working now. The configuration in .vmx is as follows:

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "0x529:0x1"

But you are setting usb.generic.autoconnect = "TRUE".

0 Kudos
Weldon314
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So i used the KB you linked to find a work around

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "path:1/3/0/1"

passing a specific usb port through to each VM did work.

I still think that an auto connected USB device should have some option in the interface to say "connect this device now and everytime this VM boots"   in my case the VID and PID did not do me any good as it is up to three of the exact same audio device, is what I am connecting.

I really don't like the locked down port as a final option, I have seen one to many USB port problem that is fixed by unplug the device and plugging it into another USB port.  and now the helpdesk staff will need instructions on finding and mapping a USB path, into the VMX file (something I really don't want just anyone touching)

Thank you all again for the help, and the point in a working direction.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Weldon,

I understand your concern. We will keep working on this issue to address all of your concerns. Currently, you can find the USB path in vmware.log in VM folder. Sorry for the trouble.

0 Kudos
sppru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For me personally it's enough that autoConnect entries in VMX file are respected by VMWare Workstation.

It could be useful for other users if Ask connect is set to connect a USB device with remembered rule at VM boot, though.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
CJ3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello @bonnie201110141

for me the autoconnect feature works again with 15.0.1.

The designed USB devices are now automatically assigned when starting a vmware kvm.

Solved.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SmartPhoneLover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Has the issue of USB devices not being automatically connected to VMs, had fixed?

It stills not working for me on Workstation Pro v15.0.2_10952284. In my case is a USB wifi net adapter.

This is what I have added to the VMK file:

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "vid:0x148:pid:0x3070" (VID & PID are true values from my system)

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The format of the vmx entry looks not correct, it should be:

usb.autoConnect.device0 = "vid:0x148 pid:0x3070"

0 Kudos
SmartPhoneLover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still doesn't work. Sorry, yes. It was a typo from me.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please attach vmware.log from VM directory and vmware-usbarb-##.log from C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM (or vmware-SYSTEM-###).

0 Kudos
SmartPhoneLover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Which one? I have the folowing files on there:

vmauthd

vmauthd-0

vmauthd-1

vmauthd-2

vmware-usbarb-4124

vmware-usbarb-4176

vmware-usbarb-4284

vmware-usbarb-4308

vmware-usbarb-4364

vmware-usbarb-4444

No vmware.log, but in /C:\USERS\USER\Documents\Virtual Machines\VM.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vmware-usbarb-##.log with the latest time stamp. vmware.log is located under the folder that is storing your VM (you can right click your VM in vm library and select Open VM directory.

Please fistly reproduce your issue and then collect those logs.

0 Kudos
SmartPhoneLover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I attached last try log, because it would be too long to post here. Please, tell me if you need full log.

DELETED. (solved below)

0 Kudos
SmartPhoneLover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ohh it is working now. Very very sorry.

While taking a look at system logs on I realized I have made a mistake while writing the vid. I forgot to write 'f' at the end of '0x148'.

So: usb.autoConnect.device0 = "vid:0x148f pid:0x3070"

Thank you for your assistance Smiley Wink

0 Kudos