VMware Communities
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Auto suspend when host reboots?

I bought the latest version 12 upgrade to VMWare Workstation partially due to this feature being announced. But when I reboot my pc it hard shuts down the VM. Is there a setting I am missing that will make it suspend instead of shut down?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know this feature is just a bluff.
I lost a lot of work because all open VMs were switched off when Windows did reboot after  automatic updates.

0 Kudos
CaShc0w
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Not sure if your VMs are shared VM or not. I remember VMware guys said shared VM was not supported by this feature currently.

If your VMs are not shared VMs, you'd better provide your host and guest OS information. vmware.log file of each VM can also be helpful to determine the root cause.

0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sucks about losing all that work.  What's weird is I did a test host reboot the day after posting this and the guest suspended.  Strange. so maybe it works sometimes

0 Kudos
BradI100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, they aren't in shared mode.  I normally keep one VM in Unity mode 24x7.  I will do some testing to see if unity mode on or off breaks the auto suspend.

0 Kudos