VMware Communities
mrpijey
Contributor
Contributor

Audio from left speaker only

I converted an XP Mode VM (Windows XP Professional english) from VirtualPC (Win7 XP Mode) to VMWare, and I noticed now that all audio comes only from left speaker. It happened with VMWare Workstation 7.0.1 and also in 7.1 with updated tools and drivers. The host itself is connected to a standard 2.0 speaker setup and it works just fine, but within VMWare all audio comes only in the left speaker. If I drag the balance slider to the right then I hear no audio at all.

I read a previous question that someone had the same problem with XP in VMWare Fusion but no solution was present. Any ideas how to resolve this? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver without success.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

What does Device Manager inside XP VM show for sound card?

Also can you post vmware.log of the XP VM?

-Bankim.

0 Kudos
mrpijey
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the long delay, summertime and vacations and all that.... Smiley Happy

The drivers are the default one Windows installs ("Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)"). I uninstalled all the audio drivers and the VMWare files,when Windows re-installed the audio drivers the sound worked in stereo again, but after a few VM reboots it went to mono again. VMWare apparently doesn't include any audio drivers with their XP package but relies on the Microsoft WDM driver.

As for the logs what parts are needed? I got quite a few logfiles which contains a lot of information.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post "vmware.log" of the VM?

It will be in the same folder as the VM.

0 Kudos