VMware Communities
mberezinski
Contributor
Contributor

Assign public IP/32 to guest

Hello,

I have a problem assigning public IP to guest.

Specification:

1. VMWare Workstation 9.
  2. Host is a Windows server 2008r2 x64. It has single NIC with two public IP addresses. Main IP address is /30 (mask 255.255.255,252) and gateway one lower then the IP address itself. Secondary address is /32 (mask 255.255.255.255) and no default gateway provided.
  3. Guest is m0n0wall.

I can't assign secondary address to guest becouse there is no gateway specified for secondary IP.

Hosting administrators ain't very helpfull, they only say that i have to use my host system to properly route secondary IP address to non public IP address of the guest system. But i have no idea how to do it. Could you please help me with that?

The reason for using m0n0wall in the first place is to get rid of *HIGHLY* unstalbe vmnat*. I don't accualy need secondary IP. I just need to forward (reliably) port 80 to other guest machine that serves as web server. I tried third party applications like portforward (unstable) and passport (could not force to work on w2008). I tried netsh port forwarding but it's very very slow. Maby there is a better solution then using m0n0wall?

*vmware, if you read this, i am deeply disappointed.

Regards,

Maciej Berezinski

0 Kudos
2 Replies
orthohin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What you are using NAT or Bridge?

In /32 IP address first one is you  network address second one is your gateway address and third one is usiable adddress(You can use to your guest) and last one is broadcast address. As i seen here you are usind private address in your LAN so you have to use Bridge networking to work public address in your guest.

Regards,
Milton

Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window
0 Kudos
mberezinski
Contributor
Contributor

At this moment i'm using NAT that comes with Workstation. But i bought additional public address that i'd like to assign to one of the guest machines. I get it i would have to switch to bridge to use it. But that's not all i have to do, there is more and i don't know what it its. 

I have main IP address in /30 and another one (bought separately) in 32.

Here's the advice that hosting comapy admin's gave me:

If you are using Windows 2008 server and VMware Workstation virtualization on this system, guest placed on vmware must have a non-public IP address. Then you have to make a SNAT translation from public IP address to the private IP. Otherwise, services will not function properly.
Additional addressing is an addressing with out subnet and have to have a prefix mask 255.255.255.255 / 32 (single ip)
Such addressing does not have a gateway and the router has to be your server which ought to route it further.
VMWARE pages in the knowledge base are given examples of this type of solutions, please be aware of them.

Maby this will tell you more then it tells me.

Regards,

Maciej Berezinski

0 Kudos