VMware Communities
znmeb
Contributor
Contributor

Arrow keys in the BIOS on a USB keyboard??

I have Workstation 6 on a Linux host. I recently swtiched from a PS/2 keyboard to a USB keyboard. When I power on a guest machine with the option to come up the first time in the BIOS, it comes up in the BIOS fine, but the arrow keys don't work. So I can't move around in the menu and set BIOS options. This worked with the PS/2 keyboard. Is there some setting I need to change?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
theitguy
Contributor
Contributor

Old post, I know, but I am having similar/same problems. Have you tried using the keypad's arrows? That is the only thing that works for me. My "stand-alone" arrows don't work in BIOS or in any type of running VM. It is very, very annoying.

0 Kudos
znmeb
Contributor
Contributor

Well what do you know -- it works!! What's even more interesting is that a Ubuntu Hardy Heron guest sees the up-arrow key as a request to take a screen shot!!! I haven't tried any of this magic in my Fedora 9 Beta or Windows guest yet, but at least I can move around now. I'm guessing there are some settings in the host BIOS that I need to check, since the arrow keys work just fine in the Linux host where VMware Workstation lives.

0 Kudos
theitguy
Contributor
Contributor

Glad to know it works for you too. I do have better news. A real fix! :smileygrin:

See my other post:

0 Kudos
tonywoodabw
Contributor
Contributor

How to fix the key map problem in VMWARE

1. This will create a file and then edit the file

touch ~/.vmware/config

nano ~/.vmware/config

and add the following line

xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = t

0 Kudos
Trevin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting the problem and the solution. Unfortunately for me while this seems to fix the extended keys, it completely messes up my alphabetic keys! I already have my keyboard remapped in the host OS with the dvorak layout. So when I press the A, S, D, F, G, H, J, K, and L keys, I expect to see "aoeuidhtns". But in the vm guest it turns out as "ar.gcedybo"!

I need another solution.

0 Kudos