VMware Communities
pjcasanis
Contributor
Contributor

Are there gesture control and touchscreen options on Workstation pro?

Hi, I have a Dell Canvas liked to a mini PC. The Dell Canvas has touchscreen capability at a high level (for professional digital art) as a drawing tablet solution.

Touchscreen works great on native Windows 10, but when I install Android on a VM (on Workstation Pro 17), the touchscreen on my Dell (which is passed over to the VM) is only controlling the mouse cursor. I therefore touch in places on the VM and it's just positioning the mouse cursor and equivalent mouse press.

It would be great, given I have the touch capability on the Dell Canvas, to clone he Android Tablet touch capability by adjusting the gesture and touch controls in the Android VM. Does anybody know if there are settings for this and how I get to them? Perhaps there's a simple 'tablet mode' available to have VMWare behave like a tablet (with touch controls all pre-configured) inside the VM??

Any help much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pcgeek2009
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The list of Workstation Pro settings and features does not list gestures at all. I would therefore say that they have not design the drivers in a way to be compatible with them. However, you might want to try creating a Windows VM as a test. If you do create another Windows based VM, then try installing the Canvas Pen driver, that VM may work: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=v7vn5&oscode=wt64a&productco... 

If that works, then the issue is that there does not appear to be a Android driver for the Canvas to be able to interoperate the gestors. 

bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Last time I tried this was several years ago with version 14.x on a Surface Pro 3 with a Windows 10 VM. Adding this to a Windows 10 VM vmx (if VM Windows 10 OS was created/installed in the Surface Pro 3, there wasn't a need to add it),

touchscreen.vusb.present = "TRUE"

makes the touch gestures, pinch to zoom in/out work on a Windows 10 VM.

You may also want edit/add the following if that still does not work.

touchscreen.vusb.visible = "TRUE"
touchscreen.vusb.available = "TRUE"
touchscreen.vusb.enable = "TRUE"

YMMV with an Android x86 VM running on a Dell Canvas host.

pjcasanis
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, but whereabouts do I make these edits?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

The edit is done on the VM's vmx configuration file.
Every VM has a vmx configuration file. If you show file extensions in Windows Explorer, it is the one with <Your VM name>.vmx
The VM needs to be shut down (not suspended) BEFORE editing the vmx file. Use Notepad to edit it.
Back up the vmx file before editing in case the editing goes awry.

0 Kudos