VMware Communities
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are guests created on Windows host playable on a Linux host?

I am dual booting Windows XP and Fedora and would like to share guests created on the Windows host with my Fedora host. I have both the Windows and Linux versions of Workstation 6.0. Is this possible, i.e., are guests cross compatible between Windows and Linux hosts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ODeckard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I actually tested the desired setup.

0 Kudos
ODeckard
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After spending a week trying to get this configuration to work I think that the Linux installation affected the Windows configuration. I used a common fat32/vfat partition to share guest VMs. I had Windows Workstation 6.0.0 working fine and the dual boot with a Fedora 7 host was working properly. I then created a Fedora 7 guest in Windows which operated properly using VMnet0. I installed Workstaion 6.0.0 on the Fedora host and was able to boot the VM which I created in the Windows host and the VM seemed to be working (on VMnet0). When I booted back into the Windows host and booted the Fedora guest I got a message that VMnet0 was not installed and could get no bridged networking. I viewed the settings for networking and it was now set to use a private network which was not on my main 192.168.1.1 network. I booted back into my Fedora Host and booted the Fedora Guest and it was still using VMnet0. I haven't been able to get VMnet0 to work in Windows but it has no problem in Linux. So at this point I'm not sure sharing guest VMs between Windows and Linux host works. I'm going to keep trying to see if I can get VMnet0 on Windows reestablished.

0 Kudos
N5BZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Works fine with workstation 5 on windows and linux hosts.

I have some real doubts about workstation 6!

I still have not solved problems that installing it (the beta test) created on my machine, even though I uninstalled the beta and reinstalled workstation 5.

73 de n5bz

0 Kudos
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are you running any firewall/anti-virus software?

I'm currently running Norton 360 but I don't see any firewall rules concerning Vmware Workstation Networking.

I think I'm going to do complete uninstalls of both Windows and Linux Workstation and install the latest 5.0 (5.5.4?) on both to see if that work. But then I'm probably going to have to reinstall a Fedora 7 guest.

0 Kudos
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did you try a "clean/complete" uninstall using the /c oprion from the command line?

0 Kudos
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got everything to work together.

The problem was with my Windows installation.

After reviewing several posts on this forum I was able to determine that I needed to install the "VMware Bridge Protocol" service.

After doing this I was able to completely boot my Fedora Host on both a Windows Host and a Fedora Host.

0 Kudos
KB2PN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me correct my last post as follows:

After doing this I was able to completely boot my Fedora Guest on both a Windows Host and a Fedora Host.

0 Kudos