VMware Communities
yong321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any way to find on guests if a disk is shared between two guests?

Two VM guests share one VMDK. From inside guests (not on ESXi host), is there any way to find out if the disk is shared? It seems that having the same UUID (from `/usr/lib/udev/scsi_id -g -u -d /dev/sdX') or disk identifier (from `fdisk -l /dev/sdX') on two guests does not mean the disk is shared between them.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yong321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the answer I wanted from somewhere else, "Only VMWare VSphere can tell you whether or not the disk is shared".

By the way, to whoever interested in knowing why I have this question: We run Oracle cluster databases (called RAC) which require shared disks, normally with no file system (not even cluster FS). It would be nice to find out, from inside VMs, whether the disks are indeed shared, at various times (before installation, after VMDK migration, during any troubleshooting, etc.) But it looks like this can only be done at the host level.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you assume sabotage ? - using shared disks on Workstation could indeed be used as a sneaky way for sabotage ....
I would suggest to simply check all your vmx-files and make sure that none of them uses the vmx-parameters for shared disks.
In case you use shared disks on purpose .... respect - you are a true warrior. Good luck

Ulli

0 Kudos
yong321
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I got the answer I wanted from somewhere else, "Only VMWare VSphere can tell you whether or not the disk is shared".

By the way, to whoever interested in knowing why I have this question: We run Oracle cluster databases (called RAC) which require shared disks, normally with no file system (not even cluster FS). It would be nice to find out, from inside VMs, whether the disks are indeed shared, at various times (before installation, after VMDK migration, during any troubleshooting, etc.) But it looks like this can only be done at the host level.

0 Kudos