VMware Communities
OwenBurnett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any progress on enabling vTPM without the need to encrypt the VM?

Is there any progress on enabling vTPM without the need to encrypt the VM?

I know about the experimental feature that only encrypts the config files without a password but this is actually worse as then there is no way to convert the VM back.

So when will we get the ability to add a vTPM to an entirely unencrypted VM?

Lets be honest, with windows 11 demanding a TPM you (VMWare) have to give us (the users) the ability to add vTPM's to entirely unencrypted VMs or you can scrap the unencrypted VMs entirely as they are now useless. So what will it be?

Cheers

Owen

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

The Workstation Tech Preview which was released last week has much better support for the vTPM.  You may want to try that out (and be sure to read the Testing Guide for detailed info on the TPM!).

OwenBurnett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay I must say this works much better,

it seams the VMDK is entirely untouched plain text, I can add the disk to an unencrypted VM and it is readable.

And the key handling is also acceptable, I set the PWD and its remembered, I can remove the TPM and decrypt the VM just fine.

One thing though why is it now required for the password to be 8 chars long, if I don't want it in the first place and have to set it only because, then i want it to be as insecure as can be like test or 123 something i can type really fast with one hand.

What's the purpose of annoying the user that does not want encryption in the first place with a password length restriction?

Also if the vmdk is un-encrypted, thy is the procedure of removing the non existent encryption still making a copy of vmdk files, seams like a bug.

0 Kudos