VMware Communities
neeks2013
Contributor
Contributor

Any plans to update/refine Workstation's GTK on Linux?

I'm not asking for a full redesign, but rather some minor updates to Workstation's GTK on Linux. I will attach a screenshot, but would it would be amazing if you guys could update the widget's"gtkmm_GtkAlignment'" properties. All that's needed is for "bottom-padding, top-padding, right-padding, left-padding" to be set at 0.

Screenshot from 2014-10-24 15_17_43.png

After checking out workstation 11 and seeing the problem still persists I thought I would ask here.

----

Edit: I removed the screenshot containing an OSX Guest. I fully believe my understanding of Apple's SLA is correct and WoodyZ's is wrong. The picture mentioned in the first couple comments can be viewed here: Screenshot from 2014-10-24 12:27:49.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware does not support the running of OS X under VMware Player/Workstation!  Also, running legally virtualizable versions of OS X in a Virtual Machine may only be done when done on Apple-branded hardware and when done while running under OS X and for that you need VMware Fusion not VMware Player/Workstation, otherwise you're violating the Apple SLA for that product.  Therefore no help can be provided to you for OS X in this use case scenario as it would violate VMware Community Terms of Use to do so.

0 Kudos
neeks2013
Contributor
Contributor

Firstly, the question had nothing to do with OSX. Secondly, I have a Mac with Linux set as my primary OS. Thus why I am asking about the Linux GUI and not Mac.

Please stay on topic.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the picture you posted, it's blatantly obvious you are using OS X in violation of its SLA and therefore it doesn't matter what the topic is!

0 Kudos
neeks2013
Contributor
Contributor

I believe you have it misunderstood.  After a careful reading of Apple's OS X SLA (which states that "[...] you are granted a [...] license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-Branded computer at any one time"), it is my belief that it's OK to run Mac OS X as a VMWare guest, provided the host hardware is a genuine, Apple-manufactured Mac computer, running an arbitrary (e.g. Linux) host OS.

Regardless, this is about VMWare's lack of maintaining their GUI.

0 Kudos
neeks2013
Contributor
Contributor

bumpppp

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I can assure you that it's you who has misinterpreted and misunderstood the OS X SLA and that's due to correspondence with Apple to the compliance officer of a government agency I do contract work for and I'll leave it at that because I believe your going to continue to do what you've been doing regardless.

Anyway to answer your original question, the usual reply in along the lines... it against VMware company policy for employes to discuss unannounced plans, timelines etc., so you'll probably not get official confirmation on your question.  That said, I believe VMware is constantly trying to improve their products and they continue to make improvement in all areas however they do not arbitrarily make announcements about the improvements or announce timelines for those improvements.

0 Kudos