VMware Communities
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any performance review on Workstation 8, 9 and 10?

Hi,

I’m using Workstation 7.  Since I have to run test on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, I have just bought Workstation 10.  But before jumping blindly to version 10, I would like to hear if users have issues with 10 or previous one.  I’ve read a discussion saying that ver 10 performs better than ver 9.  How about comparison to ver 8?

By the way, what is the minimum version required to run W8 & Win Serv 2012 as guest?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I'm not sure you have much choice in what you can buy.

I've found 9 to be a very good build, and very reliable.  I've run multiple VMs simultaneously with performance problems. Some have claimed slow network performance, but I haven't seen this.

At this point in time there seem to be some serious show stoppers in version 10. You might want to give it a little time to have the teething problems sorted.

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, I think if I had placed the order two months earlier, ie before my vacations, I would have been able to buy version 9.  And the current version is 10.0.0 -- I'm pretty sure a lot of bugs fixes are to come.  I've bought it in the bad moment LOL

But if ver 10 turns out to be unreliable, I might try to negotiate with VMware to give me ver 9 license key.  Hopefully LOL

Or I could run ver 9 as evaluation software.

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm getting somewhat better WEI scores with VMware Workstation 10 as compared to 9.  But not significantly so - just a few points.

-Noel

0 Kudos