VMware Communities
SiliconDragon
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck installing Win98SE audio drivers with Workstation 5?

Has anyone had success installing Creative audio drivers with a Win98SE quest using Workstation 5?

I've got a WinXP host with VMware Workstation 5 and a freshly installed Win98SE guest and everything's been fine except the dozen attempts at installing drivers for a Creative SBLive Platinum 5.1 audio card (PCI) have failed. I've tried numerous drivers posted by others and nothing works, though I count myself lucky that I've had no BSODs like some people have reported. Smiley Happy So far, I've tried SBLive Platinum 5.1 drivers and the error states something like "no hardware is installed that matches your drivers", or somesuch BS. So I tried several PCI 128 drivers...still no luck. I tried Ensoniq AudioPCI drivers...ditto. I even attempted working my way backwards w/ various Sound Blaster cards, all the way down to the plain vanilla "Sound Blaster PCI" drivers...all to no avail.

So...if anyone has any advice, I could certainly use it. I'm about THIS close to using Microsoft's crummy vm software just to get something running. Smiley Sad

Thx, all.

SD

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

have you checked the one I linked here ?

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-sound.html

0 Kudos
SiliconDragon
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, tried those a few drivers ago, but Win98SE still didn't recognize the card. Smiley Sad

However, a friend at work said he'd had luck with a trick for Win95 which I tried last night and voila! Sound!

Odd, but here's what worked:

1. Install the PCI 128 drivers (9522211.exe from Creative), then reboot

2. After reboot, open the device manager, locate and remove the still-not-recognized audio device

3. Right-click on the root of the device tree and select Refresh

4. Bingo, Win98SE now recognizes the SBLive 5.1 Platinum as a PCI 128 card. Imagine that.

So, apparently, Win98 has caching/detection problems while running as a guest, and manually forcing a rescan (after new drivers are installed) produces the correct results. Well, it's still not SBLive quality and the audio's about 20% the volume of the host machine, but at least it's viable.

0 Kudos
theintestine
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, this trick worked for me too on VMWare Workstation 6.5. I googled 9522211.exe and hit on a download from Gateway.

-

theintestine - Extracting goodness from crap for 20 years

theintestine - Extracting goodness from crap for 20 years
0 Kudos