VMware Communities
swsnyder
Contributor
Contributor

Any benefit from Workstation 7 on Linux host?

Hello.

I am happily running Workstation v6.5.3 on a x86_64 Linux host, with several flavors of Windows as clients. I'm wondering what benefits, if any, I would see from moving to Workstation v7.0.

The What's New section on the Workstation 7.0 product page touts the official support for Win7 and the enhanced graphical capabilities. I understand the emphasis on Microsoft's latest OS, but the lack of any explicit enhancements for Linux hosts makes it hard to justify the price of upgrading.

So, I'll ask here: what would I gain from running Workstation v7.0 on a x86_64 Linux system relative to v6.5.x?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

for Linux 64 users Workstation 7 is a milestone.

Thats the first version that allows to do something which never was a problems with Windows-hosts : keep all virtual RAM of the VM in real RAM

so - yes - upgrade - it makes a big difference - maybe you even reach the performance of a good Windows-system Smiley Wink

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
RuralRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Probably the biggest thing that sold me on Workstation 7 is that it now outputs sound through the ALSA interface instead of OSS. This means no more fighting over who gets to play sound at any given time (the host or any VM) - it all gets mixed together, just like on a Windows host.

(I should warn you, though, that getting the ALSA mixer properly set up and working on Linux, with full mixing of all sound sources, can be a headache. Google "alsa dmix" and you'll see what I mean. But that is a Linux issue, not VMware's.)

Another benefit is that it can be installed on a Linux system with the current 2.6.31 kernel without any patches.

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

Faster, better audio support, etc.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am running Ubuntu 9.1 and it allows me to run both Unity and Full Screen/dual monitor modes.

oops, edit: Why not try it for 30 days?

Lou

Message was edited by: louyo

0 Kudos