VMware Communities
hanness_rdu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any Solution for Patch Tuesday Update (Jul 14, 2020) That Breaks VMs?

The release notes for the Windows 10 updates today include the following:

IMPORTANT Starting in July 2020, all Windows Updates will disable the RemoteFX vGPU feature because of a security vulnerability. For more information about the vulnerability, see CVE-2020-1036 and KB4570006. Once this feature is disabled, attempts to start virtual machines (VMs) will fail, and messages such as the following will appear:

• “The virtual machine cannot be started because all the RemoteFX-capable GPUs are disabled in Hyper-V Manager.”
  • “The virtual machine cannot be started because the server has insufficient GPU resources.”

If you re-enable RemoteFX vGPU, a message similar to the following will appear:

-----------------

What's interesting is that there is no mention of any workaround. So, here are my questions:

1) Does this even affect VMware or only Hyper-V?

2) Can I get confirmation on whether this really affects VMs running on the latest VMware Workstation Pro version (15.5.6)?

3) If so, any workarounds?

4) If no current workaround, is this something that will be addressed by Microsoft or by VMware?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just confirming as well...

The RemoteFX 3D Video adapter has never been available to VMware VM's.

This is not a problem related to VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The links suggest this is specific to Hyper-V, and it relates to a feature which was deprecated in the 1809 release of Win10 - Workstation works just fine on 1809 and later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just confirming as well...

The RemoteFX 3D Video adapter has never been available to VMware VM's.

This is not a problem related to VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
hanness_rdu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the information - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
KingMatthew
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My core windows 2019 no longer works with RDP.  Its broken on vsphere 7.

0 Kudos